Analyzing the power from the outlet

I've been reading threads on the various methods of power cleaning -- filters, regenerators, dedicated lines, etc. But I don't see a thread that explains a systematic way of evaluating the condition of the power at the outlet. Is there a thread or a link that instructs on how to analyze the power for noise, voltage consistency, etc from the point of view of an audiophile?
128x128cjk5933

Showing 3 responses by cjk5933

Well, I've seen suggestions to validate the outlet voltage is consistently 120 V with a tolerance of +/- 3 V. Assuming the outlet meets that benchmark, that would, I think, obviate the need for a power regenerator. (At least I think that is the function of a regenerator.)

But, as far as the filtering of noise, etc. Does anyone know how to measure the amplitude and frequency of noise without electricuting yourself?

I'm not being facetious. I'm geninuely curious.

On a related note, it's my (limited) understanding that most audio components have a transformer as the first stage from the power input. Doesn't that automatically decouple most of the noise from the power?
Besides providing a stable voltage, a regenerator will also reduce or eliminate noise and distortion that is present on the incoming AC, since it is what generates the AC that is provided to the components it is powering. Essentially it consists of an oscillator generating a 60 Hz signal (or 50 Hz in some countries) driving a high powered amplifier which in turn supplies that amplified 60 or 50 Hz signal to the connected components, and a power supply which converts the AC from the wall outlet to the DC which powers its own oscillator and amplifier.

But I understood the amplifiers require internal oscillators to operate? Why do you need to add an external oscillator?

The bandwidth limitations of the power transformer will significantly reduce the frequency components of the noise that are above a certain frequency. Noise on the incoming AC will also be reduced by filter capacitors and decoupling capacitors that will be present at various circuit locations in the design. It will also be reduced by voltage regulator circuits that are generally used in audio components, other than in the high power stages of most power amplifiers and integrated amplifiers. Finally, it will be reduced by what is known as the power supply rejection ratio of the amplification and other circuit stages which process the audio signal.

If all this processing is in the amplifier, why would it matter what you do to the power before it arrives at the amplifier? Maybe I'm missing something. But it seems to me that this is the design challenge of building amps. In theory, amplifying a signal is straightforward -- you buy an opamp and insert it into the signal path. But, addressing the departure from theory is what adds the complexity and $1000s to the price an amplifier. The designer building circuits into the amp that mitigate the problems created by the power supply. How could you market an amp that only functioned with a pristine power supply?
Hello Al
Thank you for the response. I know you are a highly accomplished designer so I appreciate your sharing your insights.

Ok. So that's a regenerator. If I understand it, you are recapitulating a perfect sin wave.
-- an amplitude of 120 RMS and a frequency of 60 hz.

But, when people here talk about power conditioners, they are not necessarily talking about regenerating the ac signal. They are talking about other things such as power filters (Shunyata). Is a power filter actually a regenerator? Do they filter the noise off the power by regenerating the wave form and the side effect of the regeneration is to remove the high frequency noise?

Or is a power filter a different device?

Finally, there is the business about the balanced power devices. As I understand this, it switches from 120-to-ground to 60-to-60 and then subtracts the common mode noise. But, again, isn't that the basis of the front end of an amplifier. Isn't the first component in the amp a transformer or differential amplifier subtracting common mode? And doesn't an amplifier transformer switch from 120-to-ground to 60-to-60?