Analog Front End for 5000

I have been listening to digitals. Recently, I bought many classic LPs at very good price. I want to set up my analog system. I purchased a music hall MMF-7 TT to test, but I am not satisfied. I want to buy a turn table, a tone arm and a cartridge with a budget of $5000. I listen to classic music the most.
By the way, how much should I spend to set up an analog system which can sound better than any CD player.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
hzhu1920@yahoo.com
hzhu1920

Showing 1 response by pbb

If you can hear through noise, you are well on your way to analog contentment. With the budget you have you should have no problem finding an analog front-end. I, for one, am dubious about any touted advancements in tt/arms/cartridges in recent memory. On the other hand, I am a sceptic, so there you go. My only question to you is: what is the rest of your system, has it reached such a level that you can spend 5k going down this route? If so, try to find a dealer who still sells analog and knows how to set up a proper tt/arm/cartridge combo. Listen to what the dealer has, try for a home audition in your own system. The list of usual suspects you probably know about: REGA, VSP, SME come to mind, but since I have not auditioned any of these in any meaningful way, I would let your ears be the judge. By the way, is it not a tall order to try to beat "any cd player"?