Amplifier recommendation for Legacy Focus 20/20

I am in need of your expert advise... I'm presently using Conrad johnson PV12L preamp with CJ MF 2200 amp to drive my newly acquired Focus 20/20.
Would the mcintosh mc275 be a good choice for these speakers?
Also looking at the Legacy coda mono-blocs
I know these are totally different amps.
Suggestions,ideas, recommendations???
thanks
flyfisher
Well, I would think if it's a little bright, selling the CJ and buying the X1 won't help things. I've never heard of a CJ preamp considered to be the source of brightness. Maybe a Cary SLP-98 will smooth out that Pass. I love most of Pass' work. I love his old Threshold gear. I love his Aleph series for Pass, the X series I found a bit more sterile. I understand the XA-series is supposed to help address that issue.

Regards,
John
So long as you can maintain solid connections and minimize voltage drop through the cord, i don't see any problems with doing so. After all, other than an extra point of connections, it would be the same thing as running longer Romex to a closer outlet.

As to mating an amp to a preamp from the same manufacturer, i typically find this to be too much of a good thing. That is, the engineers / designers that built the gear typically have a specific sound or type of circuit design that they like to use. This typically results in a "house sound". Compounding multiple components with the same house sound can result in an over-abundance of that sonic signature. That is, unless you REALLY like that sound. As such, i typically find better results by mixing and matching components.

Others may bring up the point that one has a better chance of finding "system synergy" by using gear that was designed to work together from day one, but as mentioned above, i find that there are potential drawbacks. Obviously, how noticeable this is will depend on the individual components and / or manufacturer of the gear. Cosmetically speaking, it's typically hard to beat using the same manufacturer for multiple pieces of gear, but in my book, cosmetics come second to performance. Sean
>
I appreciate all your responses regarding the preamp. At this point I am just waiting to receive it. I was told I would get it by Friday so I will be posting my feelings once it is up and running.
The CJ has brand new tubes , I guess that could be a contributing factor to the reason I find the system a little on the bright side. Also my cables are new...
Flyfisher - If you happened to be a little south of home, come on by and listen to my Focus with the McIntosh MC352. My room needs some work acoustically (I am working on that part), but I find the sound to be full and relaxed, not "in-your-face" compared to other amps I have had.

Sean makes an interesting point though, and one that makes me hesitate going all McIntosh. I worry about the relaxed sound could become a lazy sound (even I laugh at what I write sometimes).

Dave
Dave, Thanks for the offer I just may take you up on that one of these days. I received the X1 and the wife loves the sound , me... lets just say the jury is still out. Too many variables on this one. I am playing with cables,etc,but it should come together.