Amp For Kinergetics SW800 s

I am in the process of adding SW800's along-side my CLS's and need to find an amp(s) to drive them. I'm driving the CLS's with a Mesa Baron (a wonderful amp for these speakers; better in fact than several more costly pieces I auditioned in-system).

The only extra amp I have on hand in an old (original generation, circa early/mid 80's) Adcom GFA 555. The amp that just won't die. Now I'm kicking myself for selling the DNA1 Deluxe when I bought the Baron, but I hadn't found the SW800's at that point.

For the long haul, what does your collective experience and wisdom suggest as a long term amp for the SW800's? They have a nominal 1.6 ohm load. This isn't a "money is no object" situation as there are several other things I'd like to do within my system. On the other hand, reviewers while praising the "mini-Statement" set up to high heaven also stated that these subs are extremely revealing of amp quality.

Some that crossed my mind... OCM 500, B&K Sonata M200's, Counterpoint SA220. Any ideas? Also, should I stick with solid state for the subs?

Thanks in advance.
jim

Showing 3 responses by jim

Thank for reminding me, Gasman. I happen to have that TAS issue but haven't referred to it for these speakers. I had been primarily relying on Jack English's 1992 review which gave very specific informantion regarding set up.

Gary, are you using the same five, ten inch drivers per enclosure set up as I have? How do you have them set up with your Aerius' in terms of positioning and lsitening position?

Thanks for the reponses.
Yeah, Doug, I do need lira for my cross and serpent "dependents". Today's project is to remove the Euro pipes and put the cat back on -- registration time again.

I don't doubt that the old Adcom can drive these puppies, and that's where I'll start. Old reviews say that these subs really give off major sonic differences depending on amplification. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sean, what you are saying about bridging into low impendance makes sense. Also, I forgot about Perreaux. I remember these from my Apogee days -- never owned them but two of my partners in crime did. Don't remember the specific models but they drove Duetta's and Stages, respectively, with no problems -- loads of headroom and very stable into low impedance loads. Not sure if many are up for sale, though.

I think I'll take you up on your offer regarding the Adcom. If I can make this work in the interim I'll be one happy camper, since I already have the amp on hand. I'll get in touch during the week. Thanks for your help.