Am I going insane?

I am not what most of you would call an audiophile, although I do appreciate a nice soundstage. I figured this was a good place to ask my questions. First I want to give you my situation though...

Last year I bought the Sony 40"XBR. I love it. Now it's time to purchase a very modest sound system for HT and 2channel. I don't have ANY equipment yet. I do know that the speakers are the first, most important piece to aquire.

So, I was at a dealer last week. I was listening to the B&W CDM NT1 series in both 5.1 and 2 channel. The sound was clear and I was pretty impressed. This is the B&W series (at least retail) that is in my price range.
Then, the fella helping me switched to the Boston Acoustics VR-M60s, with the matching center and surrounds. I thought that the BAs sounded better...much better...more free, less boxy. Both sets were being played from a Yamaha reciever (not hifi to be sure, but I can't afford good components yet). AM I NUTS? Would seperates make this setup sound better? The room was setup nicely, at least as far as my limited experience can tell.

Since then I have listened to a PSB setup, but wasn't as impressed. I also teased myself with a BEAUFIFUL Sonus Faber setup that I might be albe to afford in about 1000 years. I am looking for other options, but am limited by around a $2000 budget for speakers. If I can get something used that is higher quality (but able to be pushed from a reciever for a while), I certainly will go that way. I read similar posts as this regarding Thiel 1.5s. I am searching for a place to hear these.

I have decided to go with the Velodyne SPL800 or SPL1000 sub, as I really liked how it dissapeared in the B&W and BA setups.

Please help a really green newbie who is trying to get some bang for bucks.

Thanks,
Z
zstokes

Showing 2 responses by whknopp0713

You have a real advantage in that you are buying a receiver and speakers together. You should audition them that way as much as possible. Receivers from NAD and Rotel are in the same price range as Yamaha/Marantz/Denon's of the world, and are noticeably better (please ignore all power ratings, as they are truly irrelevant). The B&W's are probably revealing more of the Yamaha's limitations, and that's why, in part, you prefer the BA sound. With the Rotel, you might think the CDM's are better than the BA's. For the Yamaha, the BA's may be better, but don't eliminate the CDM's until you've swapped receivers.
Neubilder, don't sell yourself short. Automotive/audio analogies are legion. Isn't a Krell 600 just a Viper without wheels (although the 600 should come with wheels, as it's too heavy to pick up)? No other culture could produce these two products; they are both perfectly American (huge, consumptive, powerful, clumsy at times and lacking finesse). But with audio, we get to be multicultural: Brits too laid back for you? Then add an American amp. French too romantic? Add a Danish speaker. My own system is Brit/French Canadian/American. Diversity gives a hifi (society?) balance and synergy that could not occur if it were mono-cultural. Ahh, the many things I've learned in my music room.