Am I brushing records wrong?

I just cleaned a bunch of my records, using the sink washing (with the GroovMaster) method described by a fellow 'Goner.

When I'm done I place the record on the player for a final dust cleaning with my Audioquest carbon fiber brush. Just looked at the record under the light, and there are dozens to hundreds of tiny little hairs over the record. Brushing them just moves the around, but they're almost impossible to get off. Sometimes they just change the way they're pointing, sometimes the brush goes right over them, making them seem like a scratch, but they're not.

Am I carbon fiber brushing incorrectly? I usually brush with many swipes from the center to the edge while the record spins on the player, attempting to brush the dust off the record. I think the carbon fiber bristles are the little hairs I'm seeing, though, so maybe I shouldn't be brushing.

Incidentally, many of my brand new records still have surface noise, and quite a bit of ticks and pops...I'm pretty disappointed. Maybe if I had an autocleaner it would help, but I'm manually washing with soap/water, then using a stiffer brush to apply Record Research Deep Cleaner, so I was hoping for no noise.
matt8268

Showing 1 response by matt8268

Thanks everyone. I didn't know you're supposed to use static to your advantage to remove dust. The "hairs" are almost certainly carbon fiber bristles. The brush is fairly new, I think my brushing technique has been horribly flawed (sounds like you're not supposed to actually make brushing motions at all).

Follow-up question. I have a Music Hall MMF-7, and I don't think the chassis is metal. Is it? If not, what should I touch?

Haven't gotten into VTA and all that, my cartidge was set up by the table's previous owner. I'm almost afraid to get into all those measurements for fear of screwing it up. I do get great non-ticky/poppy results from my 200 gram Quiex pressings.