Alternatives to B&W 805 D4

Hello,

I’m planning to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers that I hope will last for the rest of my life. I’ll turn 50 next year, so it’s not too far fetched!

I’m thinking about the B&W 805 D4 because I'm familiar with this brand, but in this price range, there are certainly good alternatives. The ones I have in mind are the Totem Element Fire V2 and Focal Sopra No1.

My goal here if there is to use the collective mind to learn if there are other makes/models worth considering. Once I’ll have a shortlist, I’ll find places where I can try them to make a final choice because, in the end, we all know the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I’m using B&W V203/DS3 for decades with integrated amp Arcam Alpha 5 that I recently upgraded with second-hand McIntosh C712 + MC7100. The source is Sonos Connect.

I’m in Montreal, Québec - it could change the availability of some brands.

Thanks for your input.

Papyneau
papyneau

Showing 2 responses by soix

Would help greatly to know what sound/speaker characteristics are most important to you and what specifically you’d like to improve upon over what you have now. 
But I’m puzzled about how I can make a good selection. I can read reviews or graphs, but it will never be enough information to discriminate one over another.
Well, that’s why I asked before what sound characteristics and improvements you’re looking for.  Give us that info and at the very least we can help greatly narrow the field for you.  Without that critical info, you’re absolutely right — it seems like a daunting task.  Trying to help here but you need to pony up the basic info to let us do that.  C’mon man, help us help you. 

I’m pretty sure you all faced this situation at one point or another.
Uh, yeah.  And we can help but you need to provide what you’re looking for or we’re all just flying blind here.  Get where I’m coming from here?