Altec "Stonehenge III" speakers from 1977 - Any Good?

Happy New Year all.

Wondered if anyone has experience and input on Altec Stonehenge III speakers?
They run $2800-$5000 condition dependent.
I have been wanting to make a great vintage system for my semi-finished basement.   Something rare-ish, historical,  but really good build quality and of course distinct sound. 
I know in general Altec was pretty incredible into the 80s, with the much larger Valencia, 604s, Model 17s, 19s etc. 

I would be driving with a PS Audio Pre-amp 5.5, a modified upgraded Adcom GFA-555 with a modified Bel Canto DAC 1 : so "all American". 
I have a British retro-system with a Rega Mira and Epos ES14 speakers, so there is a bit of reference for folks.

Many thanks!

128x128amtprod

Showing 2 responses by amtprod

Thanks @hiend2 .  The Model #19s are what I would -really- like to have, or the 17s.  But I had never seen the Stonehenge model and kind of liked the smaller more 'conventional' floor stander as opposed to the large square box. 

I am curious what the draw backs are to the Stonehenge models.  They seem more affordable that's for sure!

You "had" 19s....what are you using now?

@jasonbourne71 yea, seen a pair near me for $3500, faded front.  Seems nutz to me too, but then again I really have no true frame of 'value' for these vs the actual sound.  Do you find your bass/mid bass adequate?  That is the only thing I am finding from folks mentioning as a dislike (I think in comparison to other similar price or similar driver and speaker size units).