Alphason HR 100 MCS - Re-wire or not?

Today I picked up an Alphason HR 100 MCS in very good condition to try on my Kuzma Stabi Ref. I wanted something with a little more character to complement the 4Point I have been using.

I installed a Dynavector XX2 from my Rega P8 and listened. It sounded thin, bass-light and had that characteristic smooth but metallic sound that silver cable often has. The XX2 sounded excellent on my P8 and nothing at all like this.

A bit disappointed, I tried a Benz Ruby Z - much better. The bass was suddenly deep, the metallic colouration was mostly gone and it was incredibly tight, dynamic and tuneful. Still a shade lean but I don’t mind that, particularly as a contrast to the full-sounding 4Point.

The arm appears to be in great condition, with original wiring. But I have read mixed reviews of the VDH silver wiring in the MCS version. I am wondering whether there is real benefit in sending the arm somewhere like Audio Origami for a re-wire with Cardas cable and a general health check. Would it lose its character with different wiring? Has anyone done this and felt it was an improvement or not?

Also, should I really be looking out for higher compliance cartridges for the HR100? The Benz is 15cu compared to 10 for the DV which could explain why it is a much better match. I could also pick up a VDH cartridge which I think are quite high compliance. Any other cartridge suggestions for this arm - or cartridges to avoid?
https://i.postimg.cc/05CcYSht/IMG-4850.jpg
rossb

Showing 1 response by sdrsdrsdr

I don’t think the wiring is the issue. It’s a light arm and using high compliance cartridges on it as you’ve already found work better. Try a top mm and see what you think. I think you can get a headshell weight to increase the mass if you want which would help for using your dynavector.