all linn, or mix & match??

I am considering a pair of linn keilidhs. I currently have a receiver based theater system (sony 555es, snell type d mains). I want to upgrade the electronics as a 2 channel system looped into the theater, replacing all speakers with linns (except my sub) I was considering Linn's classik for its value and simplicity, but am wondering if there are any integrated amp/cd player recommendations that have a combined cost of about 2K that should also be considered. I do plan to add an outboard amp to the classik as soon as funds allow, probably an LK140 or thereabouts, to get a more dynamic result. I know that Linn products have always had a synergy about them, and I am cheifly interested in an involving and emotional system. I listen to mostly rock (classic to metal) and upbeat fusion type jazz. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
ehm3
i think we've got off the beaten trak a bit// i think we are all gona do his head in!!! instead of hrs of auditioning and headaches i think its worth it to get some used linn gear--i mean its exellent kit and will do ya keilidh's justice--and used wil be a bargain!!!remember the BUDGET!! dont cut my head off guys but if somthing is obsolete i dont think its a problem-if it sounds good and the company still in buisness NO PROBLEM! hell! i got a friend that has a 1960's garrard turntable in a great plinth and thats the best turntable i've heard beats cd hands down--he's still able to maintain his kit after its production of 35 yrs ago---just tryin to help--over n out
i tink linn stuff is nice, but i wouldn't tie-down a nice amp-n-pre, or an integrated, w/a built-in cd-player when ya *know*, in a couple years, a few hundred bucks worth of digital-playback equipment will *kill* any ~$1k cd player being made today. this is my only take on the obsolescense thing. doug
Hey guys, don't worry about messin with my head---I am in A/V sales for a great specialty retailer. But we focus mostly on A/V, and don't do much with specialty 2-ch hifi. I am well aware of the advancements made in digital tech, but I think Joolz is right--if it sounds good, and has synergy, then so what??? Enjoy the music. I have owned some cool theater stuff (lexicon, meridian) but it never MOVED me like my first 2ch rig. (adcom, rotel) So I simply want to recapture the MUSIC enjoyment I once had. I heard a friends Linn, then saw some Keilidhs for sale cheap, and here we be!!!!!! But truly, you guys have been helping tons--I have narrowed down to a Classik, Majik/Mimik (I too gotta have that remote!), and two dark horses--the Rega Mira or a Rotel RA985 (I am a dealer for this--so the price is good!) Only problem with the last two is---matching a CD player. And the uncertain result. So........news at 11, until I can actually hear a few of these when my Keilidhs show up next week!! BTW guys--this is tough, but it 's good to be on the other side of the fence. Gives perspective. And again, thanks tons!!!!
Hey Ehm3, looks like your ship has come in... Have you seen the Linn LK1/LK280, and the LK1/Lk2 setups that just got listed?
I am on it--questions, however. There appear to be 3 diff versions of the LK1, and 2 different LK280's (I am assuming this is not a Spark, though) Is the std 280 a lot better than the LK2, and is the spark upgrade still available? Also, is the LK1/LK2 significantly better than a Majik?