all linn, or mix & match??

I am considering a pair of linn keilidhs. I currently have a receiver based theater system (sony 555es, snell type d mains). I want to upgrade the electronics as a 2 channel system looped into the theater, replacing all speakers with linns (except my sub) I was considering Linn's classik for its value and simplicity, but am wondering if there are any integrated amp/cd player recommendations that have a combined cost of about 2K that should also be considered. I do plan to add an outboard amp to the classik as soon as funds allow, probably an LK140 or thereabouts, to get a more dynamic result. I know that Linn products have always had a synergy about them, and I am cheifly interested in an involving and emotional system. I listen to mostly rock (classic to metal) and upbeat fusion type jazz. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
ehm3
If you would rather listen than obsess over your hi-fi - to what will continue to be a very high standard for at least the next five years (IMO), the Classik is perfect. I am a bit obsessed so I sold the Classik and went to separates. I don't buy into the linn Philosophy of source first - mostly because sources seem to come and go - why spend 2 grand on a source that will be obsolete in a couple of years? Get a rock solid amp/pre and speakers and have fun plugging different stuff into it. If it happens to be a 2K Genki all the better - but I do think manufacureres are milking us for what the formats are worth.
linn's obsession w/"source first" started ~25 years ago, w/the lp. i tink it's not out of line for vinyl, & the sondek is still a competitive player in the turntable biz. i'm happy w/my oracle, tho - looks *do* matter, if the sonics are still there! :>) i think the preamp is wery important. upgrading to a really nice tubed-unit has pretty much made irrelevant my choice of cd-player in the $3500 & less category - no need to investigate further, cuz even used, a $3.5k cd-player ain't in *my* budget! my $500 nad cd-changer is as good as i need w/my gnu preamp. doug
i think we've got off the beaten trak a bit// i think we are all gona do his head in!!! instead of hrs of auditioning and headaches i think its worth it to get some used linn gear--i mean its exellent kit and will do ya keilidh's justice--and used wil be a bargain!!!remember the BUDGET!! dont cut my head off guys but if somthing is obsolete i dont think its a problem-if it sounds good and the company still in buisness NO PROBLEM! hell! i got a friend that has a 1960's garrard turntable in a great plinth and thats the best turntable i've heard beats cd hands down--he's still able to maintain his kit after its production of 35 yrs ago---just tryin to help--over n out
i tink linn stuff is nice, but i wouldn't tie-down a nice amp-n-pre, or an integrated, w/a built-in cd-player when ya *know*, in a couple years, a few hundred bucks worth of digital-playback equipment will *kill* any ~$1k cd player being made today. this is my only take on the obsolescense thing. doug
Hey guys, don't worry about messin with my head---I am in A/V sales for a great specialty retailer. But we focus mostly on A/V, and don't do much with specialty 2-ch hifi. I am well aware of the advancements made in digital tech, but I think Joolz is right--if it sounds good, and has synergy, then so what??? Enjoy the music. I have owned some cool theater stuff (lexicon, meridian) but it never MOVED me like my first 2ch rig. (adcom, rotel) So I simply want to recapture the MUSIC enjoyment I once had. I heard a friends Linn, then saw some Keilidhs for sale cheap, and here we be!!!!!! But truly, you guys have been helping tons--I have narrowed down to a Classik, Majik/Mimik (I too gotta have that remote!), and two dark horses--the Rega Mira or a Rotel RA985 (I am a dealer for this--so the price is good!) Only problem with the last two is---matching a CD player. And the uncertain result. So........news at 11, until I can actually hear a few of these when my Keilidhs show up next week!! BTW guys--this is tough, but it 's good to be on the other side of the fence. Gives perspective. And again, thanks tons!!!!