Album(s) That Took The Longest To Come Around To

For me, it took about 8 listens to fully appreciate and get Bon Iver’s “For Emma, Forever Ago”. Same goes for the first two Springsteen albums. Gratifying to come around to art that good (and I know that’s up for debate).

nicholsr

I am going to add Van Morrison/Blowin Your Mind.  I remember hearing Brown Eyed Girl frequently on AM radio stations when I was growing up in Montana and I thought it was a catchy tune but I never thought much else about it.  Then in '91 when I had a rack system I ordered that CD from the record club I had joined, but back then everything was background music and I never sat and seriously listened to anything.  I had also gained a passing familiarity and interest in Van Morrison via The Last waltz (video) and the Rodger Watters remake of The Wall/Berlin (video).  Then a few years ago (so I'll say '18 or '19) on an impulse I ordered a used (Sony red book) SBM remaster of it and I discovered that not only were there some good tunes the SQ of that particular remaster is fantastic!  And I am generally not thrilled with all of the other SBM remasters I own.

So with that typed, I am adding Van Morrison/Blowin' Your Mind to my list.

Back in the early or mid '90s I heard a Richard Thompson song on the public radio station I used to listen to, so i went to the CD store and bought Richard And Linda Thompson/Shoot Out The Lights (1982, I think).  I remember listening to it a few times back then, but it was never really grabbing me.  I made it to hour 96 plus on my speaker audition/break in journey, and Shoot Out The Lights was the second CD I listened to.  It sounded very good (actually better than the two Linda Ronstadt CDs that I finished with) and it is a CD that I now appreciate and should be listening to some more.

I had always seen “Shoot Out The Lights” on many greatest albums lists. Got it a couple of years ago at Goodwill for a buck, but I don’t think I’ve given it a proper listen. I’ll do that very soon.

AND Shoot Out The Lights is a great sounding recording, a bonus. I regularly use it as one of my demo LP’s.

When I’m in the mood AC/DC, The Band just won’t do. And visa versa. But I am no longer EVER in the mood for Cream. Or The Jimi Hendrix Experience. I saw both live twice, in 1968 and ’69. And The Who twice those same years (performing the A Quick One While He’s Away and Tommy suites). Seeing and hearing The Band on their brown album tour relegated all that to the dust bin of history. smiley