Album(s) That Took The Longest To Come Around To

For me, it took about 8 listens to fully appreciate and get Bon Iver’s “For Emma, Forever Ago”. Same goes for the first two Springsteen albums. Gratifying to come around to art that good (and I know that’s up for debate).

nicholsr

. . . Holly Cole Trio It Happened One Night released in ’96(?) and I know that I bought it in the ’90s, but I didn’t listen to it closely enough to realize how good it is until ’18 or ’19.

Same with Patricia Barber/Cafe Blue . . . I bought the red book HDCD version not long after it’s release (’94?) for her cover of Ode To Billy Joe but I never really listened to it and started digging it until ’18 or ’19 . . . and I’d say the same also goes for Patricia Barber/Companion.

The Man Comes Around (Johnny Cash) I bought after its release (’02?) and I am sure I played it a couple of times, but it was basically gathering cobwebs until two or three days ago (the same session I listed to Rosanne Cash/Ten Song Demo) and it was, "Wow! Good stuff!"

It’s not been that way with everything I am pulling out of mothballs . . . I played Cowboy Junkies/Open tonight, and it left me pretty cold and clueless.

I can count the number of recordings that I’ve "learned" to appreciate on the fingers of one hand. It’s extremely rare that revisiting music I didn’t enjoy the first time changes my mind.

As to The Band, the brown album is one of my all time favorites. Never did understand the appeal of Big Pink. Nor do I understand the need to champion The Band by declaring other artists inferior. The Band’s music speaks for itself. I certainly don’t regard EC as some ultimate arbiter of taste, given that so much of his output has been mediocre at best.

When I’m in the mood for Cream, The Band won’t scratch that itch and vice versa.

I like apples AND oranges.

I remember being 15 and buying Elvis Costello's "Get Happy".  Played the first song, took it off in disgust, and left it un-played for literally 30+ years.  Threw it on one night (after getting into his vast catalog) and was blown away by it. 20 two-minute songs that encompass a wide range of everything that is rock. Sometimes it just takes a little time to get it.