After years of separates, I'm going integrated. Anyone else do the same?

I'm rethinking my listening room. I want my audio rack to be more minimalist vs lots of boxes, wires, and clutter. I know separates, in general, will sound better. However, at the level of my system, I'm not certain the difference would be as apparent. In the grand scheme of things of Audiophilia, my level of components are mid-fi at best (BHK Pre, First Watt J2, Elac PPA-2 phono, Pro-ject s2 Dac, ZU Omen Defs)

I'm favoring one of the Luxman Class A's (I know Luxman is getting out of the Class A business. The only way I would favor a built-in Dac is if it were upgradable like McIntosh or Accuphase. I'm guessing a Luxman or Mac built-in phono would sound just as good as to what I have now (Elac PPA-2).

So the question is, who else has gone to integrated? Do you regret the move or are you glad you did?

aberyclark

Something I'd like to comment on  is the DAC.  While I generally think integrated is a sound decision given the circumstances described, the idea of modular DACs does not seem to keep up with the actual evolution of DACs - at least in the case of the McIntosh DA2, which is what I have in my C2700.  This is a lovely preamp, don't get me wrong, and I convinced myself that I was saving money when I initially bought into the built-in, yet modular philosophy - however - I suspect that McIntosh is not truly keeping up with DAC evolution.  The DA2 is now 2-1/2 years old and let's think about how many times the DAC throne has been "overthrown" in that period.  Understanding McIntosh can not reasonably be expected to make available in real-time a state of the art DAC on a small board that slots into the back of your pre-amp or integrated amp, it does seem reasonable that upgrades would come along on a 2-yr cycle so that those who buy-into the modular concept feel current and are more-importantly achieving peak performance.  An amazingly long-winded way of saying I agree of your leanings but carefully consider your DAC use-case.

I have been back and forth over the last 25 years as I worked my way up the food chain. I also saved for many years to be able to build out a completely new gear system. I retired what was my then current main separates system to the Family room. VAC CLA1 MKII Pre Amp with an Odyssey Stratos+ (that ended up in place when my Counterpoint NPS-400 left the house)

I wanted something more simple for my wife to use as well as not worrying about the tubes, extra ICs and PCs. I wanted something with HT Bypass as I integrate my main 2CH into my HT system. I wanted a decent Phono section because my wife just bought me a Rega P3.

Due to budget restrictions and retirement in mind, I decided on the Luxman 505UX MKII, a Rotel 1572, and Fyne Audio F502SPs with the Rega.

As you can see, there is a large love for the newer Luxman gear. Even the A/B units are still Class A up to 6 Watts. The sound and control is excellent. The Phono is excellent for built in. I only run Line Straight. Every time I try and use Tone Controls or Loudness, I always come back to Line Straight. There if you need to play with them. It also has a full Tape Loop and Meters that don't tell you a damn thing but look cool.

I recommend any of the Lux's

Since this issue is integrated compared to separates, and not necessarily brands, I will say that, yes, I did switch from reputable mid-priced separates (SS) to a tube int. amp with an up and coming reputation, I have observed.  The price of the separates was around the same as the int. amp.  The decision was immediate with the audition.  The tube int. was just much more musical in every way.  The separates were neutral sounding, using Tone Control to vary the sound output. My system is "cleaner" without the back wrenching effort to move the power amp when required. And I am happy!