Advice on purchasing classics amplifiers.Which one

I have the opportunity to purchase one of the three amplifiers:
1) Audio Reasearch VT-100 MK2 for $2145. The amplifier is about four years old and is in a 9/10 condition. It has balanced inputs. 100 watts per channel.
2) Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000 (Tubes and MOSFETS) for $1850. The amplifier was released in 1987 or 1988, which makes it 14 to 15 years old. No balanced inputs. This is about a 7 or 8 in condition, of 10. 200 watts per channel.
3) VTL 222 all tubes mono power amplifiersreleased around 1988. The asking price is $2300 and the condition is 8/10.
225 watts per channel.
I will be using them to drive the Martin Logan Monolith II.
I will purchase one of the three and therefore not really interested in anything else. Please give your honest advice as to what I should look for, age, reliability, sound, performance. Which is the best for driving electrostatics? Please do not give me the viortues of a $10,000 because I cannot afford one. My budget is $2400 for a used amplifier, Tubes amplification.
jaguar1845

Showing 1 response by jaguar1845

I need an amplifier that could produce the bass slam that the Monolith II are noted for, coupled with a fine mid range and highs. I play Jazz, rock and R&B music. This should help in your advice. I cannot stand to listen to an amplifier that does not have the bass slam, but must also perform on the rest of the audio range.
Also the AR VT-100Mk2 at 100 wpc, I believe is not enough for CD's with extended low frequency music. Back to the topic, and with the information I have provided which would you recommend? Again thanks to mall for your iformative suggestions. Audiogon is truly a great place.