Advice needed on upgrading tonearm for VPI SCOUTMASTER

Greetings all!

I have an older early 90's Scoutmaster turntable with a JMW 9 unipivot tonearm. Not wanting to spend a bundle on a new turntable, I figured that a less expensive upgrade would be to replace the tonearm.  The platter and plinth are both sturdy and built like tanks.  And the table is in "as new" shape (see virtual system).  I contacted VPI to see if an upgrade would be available and if it would be sonically worth considering.  They said that "current technology and engineering have improved, with much lower incidence of resonance."  I have an older Sonic Frontiers phono preamp that was upgraded by Parts Conexion in Canada.  I also have a Benz Micro Glider MC cart with very few hours.  

The upgraded JMR 9 unipivot arm with standard wire would cost around $1,300. It would cost a few hundred more for reference wire. 

Is upgrading a crazy idea, or should I consider a new table, which I really did not want to consider ($$$).  AND, is spending a few more dollars on reference tonearm wire worth it?  

Any input would be appreciated.  Cheers!

judsauce

If it's just the same arm "updated " I would just try a new cart.

Wouldn't a VPI upgrade would be the 10"3d. I don't know if that's  an option-armboard?

I preferred the standard wire sound to the reference wire which is Nordost. Don't assume that the reference wire is better just because it costs more. It is a different flavor.

Do you have the metal arm or 3D printed? The 3D is a pretty big upgrade. 

Thanks folks. 

It's a metal wand. And I can't update to a longer one. Wouldn't work with current arm board.

Judging by the response, I guess it's not a great idea.