Advice from Audiogon family - best speaker $3k-$4k

I am looking for advice for speakers.  This is a second system in my living room with a MA252 integrated, VPI turntable and Blue Sound.  Looking for a floor standing speaker.  I have listen to Sonus Faber and I like them.  Advice?

goducks44

The very best value in a loudspeaker system at your price point is a used set of Linkwitz Orions. They typically sell for about $3000, as a full system of loudspeakers, active crossover, multi-channel amplifier and cabling. Most of the Orion sets you’ll find are homebrew kit built, but they were also custom built by Wood Artistry of Healdsburg, CA. Those sets retailed at $15,000 for the loudspeakers and active crossover. You had to supply your own amplification.

Even at $15,000, they were a good value. I run a set of custom built Orions and they are my "forever loudspeaker." They’re an open baffle system with exceptional imaging, dynamics and detail. They are especially wonderful on voices and acoustic instruments. The LX521 is the current Linkwitz design, but to my ear, the Orion design is still a worthy competitor.

I’ve been to the audio shows and I’d sit my Orions up against any $30,000+ system you’ve got. I do know of a set in the San Francisco area that are going for $3000. Reach out to the seller and work out shipping.

Remember that this is a full system, including amplification. Heck. You can drop $3000 without batting an eye on just an amplifier.

I know that you want a floor-stander, but you really should check out the Joseph Audio pulsars, which you can get used, often with stands, for about $4K.  They are truly excellent speakers, with a silly amount of bass for a stand-mounted speaker.  I had a pair and loved them.

this one is easy.    a top $2500 speaker with a $1000 sub.  People sell things like a a pair of F206 REVELs, mint, used, for $2500.   add a REL, SVS, or JL sub, and you will have a FANTASTIC FULL RANGE system

For a nominal investment of no more than $1000, look for a pair of PSB Stratus Gold's (not the i's, however). They will sound like a speaker costing far more. I have a pair purchased by me in 2006 and I will never part with them in the event that I put together a non-reference listening room. I have compared them to the following in my system,

Vienna Acoustics Liszt-No bottom end whatsoever 

Any B&W product-Far too bright and fatiguing

Focal Sopra II-Great mids, but not enough low end

Sonus Faber-Looks good but not exciting from a harmonic perspective

Tekton-Only if the lights were off, as they are not easy on the eyes

Save some money and hunt down a pair!

You may be able to land a pair of Maggie 3.7i used or the 1.7i with a good sub would also be worth auditioning.

Good luck happy listening.