Adding a power trigger to an amp that doesn't have one

Hello Everyone, 

I might be buying an amplifier that has a remote but doesn't have a 12v trigger port. I need it to have one so that I can turn it on with a 12v from my AVR. 

Is there a device that on one end has a 12v(mono standard 12v plug) and on the other end an IR transmitter that can be programmed to the power button of the remote from the amp? 

I don't want to use a universal remote since none of them have the mouse/pointer ability to move like the LG magic remote (at least from what I could find). 

Thanks!

ajones82

Hey @ajones82,  sounds like you have the same problem that I had in this thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/question-about-cary-audio-slp-05-preamp

Check out my solution.  I use a combination of this emotive module with a IR controllable AC Socket.  Somehow I can't find the IR controlled AC Socket in eBay anymore, but I found this: 

https://inclusiveinc.org/products/infrared-ecu-110v-ac-wall-outlet-controller-with-remote

It seems to do the same thing.

In my case, it works perfectly.   Hope this works for you.

Cheers!

The problem is that almost all the amplifier with momentary Standby/On push button switch will only can put it into Standby if using AC mains switch, you still need to momentarily press the front panel button or use the remote to turn it on.

Yeah that’s the problem. None of those solutions mentioned work for me. A button has to be pressed on the amp in order to turn it on - period. No switched pdu will fix that. 

My question still stands. Anybody know of a device I’m talking about ?

I don't think such a device exists.

However, it's basically a 12V trigger interface used to control a button of an IR learning remote control.

That is a good DIY project!

I have the digikey doohickey.

you’ll plug in a plug into the trigger on your receiver and cut the other end off, connect wire ( I used 16g speaker cable) to that crappy green input box on the device you see in pic .

My only real complaint is there is only one switched outlet on that block.