Adcom gfp 750....why so many for sale?

Was the stereophile class a rating a curse? Consistently finding them on audiogon...any thoughts?
128x128phasecorrect

Showing 1 response by wolf_garcia

Used Adcom stuff is SO inexpensive that if you use any of it (as I do) you should hide it...or buy fake faceplates so people think you have hipper stuff (by "people" I mean audio geeks who, to be fair, are people too). Plenty of reviewers think the amps are "un-musical" or "not quite (fill in the blank) enough". Uh...OK...BUT I use (among other stuff) an Adcom GFP715 preamp that sounds GREAT, and I've owned a bunch of their amps including a 535II and 5300 I still use. Good cables, speakers, and other nice things on both ends of the chain make it all seem to work better of course...and, having been a musician/studio and live sound engineer/audio freak since the mid 60's I've had TONS of other "high end" brands. Although some might have been worth the multiples of $ above the Adcom prices I paid, my Adcom stuff has always been less trouble, and as I said before, if you use good power conditioning, cables, etc., you might save enough to get out and see some music. Maybe I just got lucky and my Adcom gear was built by better paid or more relaxed "Chinese Elves"...but recently a friend who has identical speakers to some of mine came over and noticed my Adcom driven system sounded better than his current VERY expensive carefully set up rig...maybe his ears were waxy...you never know.