Adcom 535L upgrades?

I have an old Adcom 535L amp (60wpc) from the 1990s. It's a utility amp and actually sounds decent if a bit grainy in the mids and highs. I'm not going to try to sell it, as it doesn't promise much on the used market. 

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced caps or other key parts in their older Adcom gear and if so whether (a) it made a real difference and (b) how much it cost? 

Thanks.
128x128hilde45

Showing 8 responses by hilde45

@oldhvymec  What do you mean by "shelf it"? Do you mean, don't bother? $65 for caps replacement doesn't seem so bad. Please clarify -- I want to know what you think about my question! Thank you!
I am reaching out to local places. What would the most likely thing to do for this amp? New caps...what else?
@johnss Thanks for the suggestion. I'm probably not capable of DIY on this, but knowing what might make a difference helps a lot. Appreciate it.
Thanks for that anecdote. You know, this thing isn't worth much, and I know it's "mid-fi" but it has this nice warmth and thrust that's hard to deny. I am not looking to pretend it's something it's not, but it would be cool if a small upgrade made it sound great.
Yeah, thanks @oldhvymec 
Appreciate it. I have a buddy who loves audio but can't really afford to do much right now. He's turning 50 this year and likes my Adcom. Either he or my son will get a present from me, and if it's possible to polish a radish for not that much money, it'd probably make a nice gift. My buddy has very decent Paradigm bookshelves and some Schiit gear, including a decent preamp. If it doesn't break the bank for me, seems like a no-brainer.
I have looked inside. Looks fine. Works fine. I'm in the Tweak-light Zone on this one, for sure!