Active vs passive crossover

I think most of forumers in this plaftorm know what are active/passive crossover (essentially crossover before/after the amplification) and understand the pros and cons of them.  Some if not all might even agree the best sound reproduction solution is active crossover with DSP.  But, my question is, why the vast majority of companies in this industry still chooses the passive route.

lanx0003

Showing 1 response by deep_333

@erik_squires ​​@phusis , there needs to be no additional adc/dac conversion if one chooses his front end gear wisely, i.e., keep it digital --> high quality dac+dsp+crossovers processor all in one device. A couple of minidsp devices come close, but have poor quality control...some units are defective.

Two stereo amps (boxes), 1 lower power class A for mf+hf, 1 high power stereo amp for bass drivers.....one 4 channel amp or 1 additional low power stereo amp if going 3 way, i.e., number of extra boxes can be kept low (it is not an issue as compared to purist passive systems).

The elephant in the room is having competent speaker measurements and the ability to understand them to accurately implement an active system. For guys lacking the technical prowess to do the latter, an active system is dead. Hence, passive systems remain popular.

For multichannel guys who’ve gone through the rigor of setting up prepros and so on, this isn’t complicated, it falls in the general wheelhouse. If a guy is used to purist plug n play devices, it could get complicated until he goes through the learning curve.