Acoustic Signature Turntables

Has anyone else experienced any problems with their Acoustic Signature turntable? In particular, I have had major issues regarding the Alpha power supply and related customer support and so just thought I'd look into these problems more widely.

Thanks for your input
dgob
Klinerm,

Sadly, your tale is not unfamiliar to me. I have no end of trouble sorting out my third and, spare, fourth armboards from Gunther. Story is that he has had serious personal problems, including a divorce to contend with.

On the bright side, the rumour is that he has been bought out and so the business side should now hopefully run as well as the engineering side. If anyone (Audotor) knows anything new, please share.
I just received a tt from them. No troubles at all. Gunther was facing the discussion and their service/support was top notch, althought sometimes they don't reply fast as a lightstorm. To make it explicit, over 10 mails we exchanged 80% of them was responded in 1 hour time and the other two with one day timeframe. This sounds quick to me.
Cheers
Daniel
Hy guys,

let me introduce myself. I am the new owner of Acoustic Signature Otto Hanak. Beside the problems we had in the past i would like the opportunity to offer you a quick and reliable solution to your pending problems. Send me an email to info@as-distribution.de with a brief description of your problem and i will do my best to solve it. I will put AS back to the old strength using the old staff and new ideas and i hope for your support as most of the owners of an A table are more than happy with it.
best regards
Hi Otto,

And many thanks for this very useful update. I am sure that more minds than mine alone have been set to rest and look forward to a long and rewarding relationship with all at Acoustic Signature.

Wishing you every success in the coming years
I did some research, and experimented myself with another table, on oil viscosity and its effect on the sound. I've found that the oil used need to be specially formulated for the oil-well and bearing tolerance in order to suppress the resonance generated by the bearing itself. So each turntable/bearing design must have its own oil formulation. The only company that explicitly stresses this fact is Basis Audio.

I've been saying this for at least 7 years:
http://www.galibierdesign.com/prd_bearing.html

You are correct that the issue involves matching the viscosity to the bearing tolerance, but it also takes into consideration the belt (or other drive system), motor torque, and platter mass. In other words - everything that makes up this resonant system.

Given that for most products, all of these components are fixed (pre-chosen for you), the only thing you are likely to change is the lubrication, so it's understandable that folks would think primarily in terms of bearing tolerance.

The Micro Seiki guys have been hip to this for years as well, and have (as with us chez Galibier Design) advocated thin oil.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier