A worse feeling than burning out your amp?

Last night I was planning to get back into making digital music and began setting up my laptop with the necessary software. I had my audio cable (1/8" connector) plugged into my Macintosh, which was playing mp3s. The laptop was ready to go, so I unplugged the cable from the Mac without turning the amp off, which I've done dozens and dozens of times before; BIG mistake. I heard a very loud buzzing sound that lasted about a quarter of a second, followed by a loud pop. I went over to the amp and could smell electronics burning. I turned the amp off and back on, after which I noticed that sound was only coming out of the left channel and it was very broken and full of static. Also, it doesn't matter which input is selected, it plays all sound coming from all inputs now. This integrated NAD C 340 amp is no longer good as a preamp either. What a horrible feeling, but it could have been much worse (my speakers could have blown out!).

Has anyone ever done something similar to their amp and attempted to fix it? I'm at least going to open it up and have a look before I trash the thing. The only bad part about all of this is having to wait several months before I can afford to replace this unit. For now, it's back to the old mass market Kenwood receiver....
jwglista
I've burned out mine once (Audio Refinement Complete), when my 2 year old son disconneted the right speaker from the amp. I turned on one of my favorite CDs, cranked it up, and about 30 seconds later, the sound cut out and my amp was slightly smoking. Good news was, my local hi-fi shop (Sound Environment, Omaha, NE) did a warranty repair AND gave me a loaner amp while my amp was being repaired. The slightly higher price I paid for buying locally was well worth the service I got in return. Gil
Well I took the amp apart and noticed an area of smoke build up on the top of the cover right above a big capacitor (there are 2 of these in the amp, I'm assuming one is for each channel). I don't know much about electronics so I don't know if it would be worth my time to try and fix this. I also don't know if a burned out capacitor would explain why the amp plays all sound from all inputs at the same time, regardless of which input is selected. That sounds like something in the preamp got fried too....
Hi I just happen on your problem. I have a Denon poa 2400 power amp thats been a problem from day one.That was ok while it was under warranty but it's not now.I turned the system on to listen to a new set of speakers as I turned up the volume (to about 1/3) the amp went up in smoke I had to unplug it as I thought it would start a fire.It should be noted that it only had about one hours time on it scince it came back from being repaired at Denon ($300)To make a long story short Denon blew it up five/six times then sent it back to me and said they could not fix it.I think I will try Rotel now as I'm not very happy with Denon
A worse feeling-

Getting some new gear from UPS (read OOPS) and discovering it has been broken in shipping. You never even get to try it and then have the hassle of contacting the seller and working out a resolution or freight claim while the broken gear sits silently in the corner mocking you for using UPS.
I ALMOST did some major damage after swapping inter connects, I forgot to turn on one of my amps (the 2 channel main) scratched my head and turned volume way up to see if I could hear any noise in speaker...went for the power buton and at last second remembered to turn down volume....that scared the hell out of me and I didnt even do anything...but man it was close.
P.S. I am going to keep a better eye on bananna plugs!