A Story about a Defective Signature Platinum

Last week I was listening to music at a healthy volume while sitting at my computer. I have an auto lifter (Little Fwend) and after the arm lifted I noticed a static noise with occasional popping coming out of the left channel about 40 dB down. At first I thought it was a bad tube but it disappeared when I turned the volume down. It is in front of the Preamp. None of the other sources had the noise. Swapping tonearm cables did not seem to change the sound but then I noticed that the sound was also in the right channel just farther down. Disconnecting the tonearm stopped the noise. I change over to an MC Diamond, no noise. Same with the Atlas, no noise. Swapped back to the MSL, noise is back.

The cartridge is exactly one year old but it rotates with two other cartridges and might have 75 hours on it. I called the dealer who told me to contact MoFi distribution, the US agent for MSL. Turns out the cartridge only has a 90 day warranty and I was told I would have to send it in for a rebuild for $6000! Can't they just fix the problem for maybe $500, No. Can't I just send it in for evaluation?  The stylus and cantilever are brand new. No, a rebuild is the only option and you have to do that through the dealer, click!  Most very expensive cartridges have a 2 year warranty on them not to mention that most companies would cover such a defect even off warranty as in the absence of physical damage it is obviously a manufacturing defect, a bad solder joint or maybe just two wires rubbing together. This is very disappointing and as far as customer service goes Home Depot is better than MoFi, Sears is better than MoFi! MoFI is right up there with Anthem Blue Cross! The service rep could have offered to look into it. Maybe communicate with MSL and get their opinion. I am sure if MSL knew about it they would gladly fix it and actually be embarrassed. The Japanese are like that. There is no way I can find to get directly in touch with MSL.   

$6000 is not an option. I am not going to throw good money after bad. I am also not going to off a defective cartridge on someone else. I am going to take the cartridge apart and reflow the solder joints and make sure the wires are separated. If that doesn't fix it, it goes in the trash.

Mistakes and defects happen, it is what you do about them that counts. MoFi failed dismally in this regard. MSL makes a fine cartridge but I would only get another one if they changed agents and increased their warranty. Obviously, I will avoid buying any other MoFi products myself and warn others about their customer service. I have no further use for the dealer who did nothing to help. I have had superb service from Musical Surroundings, Soundsmith, B+H Photo and the Cable Company. All handled issues with ease. Has anyone else had trouble with MoFi? What companies have provided you with excellent service when the sh-t hit the fan?

128x128mijostyn

Showing 9 responses by rsf507

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I’ve heard several MSL cartridges and they have sounded fantastic it is one that someday will own. As for MoFi I agree their customer service/support is nonexistent. Will not get into details but I’ll not do business with them directly.

@pindac ​I do not need to Spend $11K on a MSL Signature, hence it is one that is on a shortlist to experience in use. I expect to be able to have one at the door, for approx' £4K+

Can you share where such deals are?​​​​​​

What about SoundSmith cartridges? Made in USA, great customer support and rebuilds at a fraction of original price. 

@daveyf +1 

@mijostyn I've heard the MSL Platinum Sig and I would never say it's easy going. Each time I've heard it I was wowed, it was dynamic and so detailed and lively like a real concert. I personally can't afford one but if I had the resources it would be at the top of my list. Although based on this thread I would have yo think twice about one. Waiting to hear what Steve has to say was the issue regarding it.

I thought the OP initially went through his dealer who worked with the Importer MoFi and didn’t get any satisfaction from either. OP please correct if this was not the case.

To lessen the blow of the OP, since I'll guess based on how long he's been in this hobby he's retired, I'd propose to start a Go Fund ME account. If all who had anything to say in this thread gave $1 then the OP would be made whole. Or MoFi can just send the OP a public apology with a check for $330. 

@pindac "I now feel based on knowledge of the VAS effect, resulting from the work carried out by this service,  that the MSL Plat' Cart', is now a MSL/VAS Plat' Cart' and will be a unique/bespoke version of this model with a VAS interpretation for how it is optimised for creating a signal." 

I do NOT agree with your thoughts that this MSL Plat Sig cartridge is no longer an original MSL. Just because it was opened-up by a 3rd party and some wires moved and NOTHING replaced or changed, it is still IMO an original MSL cartridge. If someone opened a Krell amp and changed a fuse to a new fuse even if it's one of the exotic ones, would that make the Krell a "tampered" with and not original Krell? Have you ever seen the inside of an Atmasphere amplifier? The layout with point to point wiring is beautiful. Now open up many other brands and you will not find this type of execution but if you took any of these other amps and just moved the wires around so they don't cross each other (and I'm not saying unsolder and then resolder) but just move them around for best placement, does this now make those amps Frankinamps? I think not. 

As far as buying a MSL at less $$ yes just about any hi end piece of gear not made in the USA can be found on sites overseas for MUCH less and many USA prodcuts sold overseas can be found by non-us buyers for less $$$ as well. So what's your point? Are you trying to tell us things you think we don't know? 

@rauliruegas that pic you sent mijostyn to post of your Ortofon MC 3000 Mk II well the body of the cartridge looks perfectly square BUT the cantilever looks skewed! Your thoughts?