A solid tube photo stage around 1500

Edit: Phono stage (voice to text is biased against analog)

First of all, I know this question has probably been addressed many times on this forum, and I’ve looked and sorted for relevance and date and still really can’t find anything. However, if you know of one posted in the past few years that can answer my question, please put a link and that’ll be the end of that.

I have an LFD LE phono stage right now that is superb, as all LFD components are. However, I have a beautiful line magnetic 518 integrated that is just opulent. And thus, I’m looking for a tube phono stage to feed it. I was thinking of an Allnic 1201, but was too slow on the trigger. Ultimately, my goal is a Herron phono stage, and Keith Herron literally lives right up the road for me. But I don’t have the funds for the Herron at the moment.

So what’s a good tube powered phono stage for around $1,500 to $2,000 that could better the LFD and be a good fit for the line magnetic?

Can I stay local and go with deckware? Maybe Canary? My speakers are spatial M3 Turbo s’s, and my vinyl rig is a VPI HW19 Mark 4 with a Hana ML.
128x128simao

Showing 12 responses by simao

No worries. A couple of review sites had suggested such a move. I kind of like doing stuff like that, so I may go for it.
@noromance thanks man. I believe that's the one that sold here on audio gone a few days ago. Just hasn't been updated on the audiomart site yet
@tomic601 glad to hear some championing of Glenn's craftsmanship. I feel they get lost in the barrage of marketing noise here stateside. 
@noromance I trust your advice and have for many years. Let’s assume I can’t swing Keith’s prices at the moment. This move I’m asking about would be a stepping stone to a Herron.

@geof3. Yes, before I got the line magnetic, I was looking at a deck where it's in. But then Steve told me about the 6th month wait. And of course, the review and Stereophile is going to add to that. That's the first public review I've ever seen of Decware, and I wonder what brought it on?

@dweller should I go for the audible illusions and just upgrade the capacitors?
@advanced101.  Kind of kicking myself for not accepting the counteroffer in time. It was for $500 less than the Allnic listed on Hammer tone, plus came with four extra tubes. 

Meh. As U2 says, what you don't have, you don't need it now. 
An update: after flirting with several Allnic 1201's for sale and failing to buy them in time, I took a plunge on a Hagerman Trumpet - sound unheard based on several recs here and online. With a 30-day trial period, it's a worthy risk. Will update its sound compared to my LFD after it arrives and burns in for a while.

Now - how to get more bass from my Spatial M3 Turbos?
@tablejockey It was much less than I was willing to pay, but I love this hobby inasmuch as surprises can come when you're not expecting. Like, I was firmly committed to an Allnic 1201 - until I wasn't. And of the Hagerman doesn't do it for me, I can recoup much of the cost and try something else, like @vair68robert's Tavish Design (which I've never heard of).
@vinylvin Thank you for the link. What a lukewarm review for in my ears, a solid tube phono stage. I wish he would have taken the time to have poses questions to hagerman before writing the review. Anyhow, so far, what would maybe 10 hours of listening and not nearly enough time for a good break in, and I haven't rolled the tubes at all, I like what I hear. It's a definitely a different and improved sound from the LFD
@vinylvin The Hagerman is definitely a more robust, tubey sound - wider and more expansive soundstage at the cost of slightly less imaging. But I like that. Haven't rolled tubes yet.