A listening test of two power amps

Hello, 

It's my first post here. I've been using two power amp setups for my main stereo and I've been curious to see if I can really discern any acoustic difference between the two. One setup involves a bi-wired high-powered stereo power amp and the other uses a pair of identical lower-powered amps with which the speakers, a pair of Tannoy System 12 DMT II monitors, are vertically bi-amped.

I decided to devise a listening test involving a mono acoustic recording made with a valve-condenser mic positioned at my usual listening position. I've used a relatively simple method to ensure that the recordings are level-matched. I've chosen a mono recording method since my goal is, principally, to evaluate the "tone" of the two recordings. I've been inspired to do this test after reading W. A. James' eBook "High end audio on a budget". The aim of the listening test is to try and discern which power amp setup provides the most realistic rendering of acoustic instruments. I thought that a mono recording might help the listener concentrate on the tone. After listening, I think it does. It's less distracting, especially on piano, where stereo or other multi-mic recording setups tend to splay out the notes across the stereo field.

I made two recordings for the test and will place links below so that the audio can be downloaded. I won't at this point give the make and model of the power amps involved, but this is the method used:

Method

1. I created an audio file with white noise at -10dB RMS and put the file on a Logitech Media Server so that I could play it on my stereo using a Raspberry Pi 3 with Audio Injector Pro card and RCA interface (192kHz 24bit DAC).

2. I then put on an LP on a Pro-ject 1.2 and set the volume to my usual listening level on a Quad 34 preamp. Following this, I then played the white noise and used a decibel meter, positioned next to the mic, to measure the level. It measured 67.3 dB.

3. Still playing the noise, I set the record level on a portable Tascam digital recorder arbitrarily to somewhere above -15dB. The microphone used was a large diaphragm valve condenser mic. The Tascam was set to record at 192kHz 24bit.

4. I then recorded the first track of the LP on the Tascam.

5. After that, I wired up the other amp configuration. I played the white noise and adjusted the volume of the preamp such that the decibel meter again measured 67.3dB at the position of the mic. The volume control on the Quad 34 is stepped, so I was lucky it matched!

6. I then recorded the same track on the LP as before, leaving the Tascam record levels unchanged.

7. I tidied the two recordings in Ardour (trimming start and finish only) and exported each as a 192kHz 24bit Flac file. I did not adjust the gain on either recording.

8. I listened to the recordings on the computer with a pair of AKG K501 headphones and Focusrite Scarlett interface.

Results

At first, I could distinguish a marked difference between the two. But now, I'm uncertain of the first qualitative difference that I'd noticed but I have noticed other more subtle differences (for the moment anyway). And that's why I'm here!

It would be wonderful if some people here could listen to the recordings and say which recording produces the most realistic rendering of the three instruments therein, and why. The instruments being piano, drums and string bass.

I've given the two files nondescript names: e.flac and t.flac. If anyone needs a different format or for me to down-sample, please let me know.

Finally, here are the files:

https://escuta.org/webtmp/e.flac

https://escuta.org/webtmp/t.flac

Cheers,

128x128surdo

I can't read the flac files and don't care to load the software to enable it.  Put them on YouTube for a bigger audience.

I think your experiment here is brilliantly executed. And yes, ultimately about the music. Dare to say that knowing one amp over the other might even influence perception in a certain way (could be bs on my part but I’m going with it).
Tracks actually loaded easily via copy/paste into a url search field on my Mac. Listening through Sennheiser headphones and a very decent dongle Dac.

e.flac seems to have more body, realism relative to the room of the performance

t.flac gets more detail, but seems a bit colder in tonality. 

Level match seems close enough to render the important qualities to me? But maybe try a couple more…

Although really appreciate where you’re coming from, the gear loving audiophile part of me does hope we get the amp reveal at some point 😂

GREAT version of U.M.M.G btw 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Much a do about nothing IMHO...sorry.

What an incredible amount of trouble to go to to make a comparison between two amplifiers that does not necessarily align with real world sq and whether or not one sounds better to the listener or not.

I would venture to say few here have the desire to dive into the minutiae the way you seem to enjoy. 

So which amp sounds better to you? Don't over analyze it...

I’m not aiming to deride your efforts, OP, just sharing objectively:

by limiting the samples to 2 and stating each sample is from a different amp, you’ve set the stage for expectation bias in responses.

Repeated measures can make for a challenging experimental design online.