805 SET Monoblocks

I've found my Hegel H20 unbeatable on my rebuild Quad 63 ESLs, but with fond memories of SET sound, including the Antique Sound Labs 805 Explorer, and the fact that I am now actively crossing them, I am interested in trying high-power SET sound again after many years out of that game.

Does anyone make an 805, or otherwise "high-power" (>50W) SET these days worth trying?

paulfolbrecht

Showing 3 responses by immatthewj

I am pretty sure that Cary still makes the CAD 805s?

And I know for a fact that I recently got an email from Cary Direct about the 211, which, if I remember correctly, is a real high powered pair of SET monoblocks.

If you go to Cary Directs web site, you can find out for sure if they are still building those. 

. . . I won't try to post a link because A'gon always shoots me down whenever I try that, but I did just go to Cary Direct's site and they are listing the 805s for $12,700 now, and the 211FEs for $17,246. 

@decooney  , oops, I missed your post.

Yes, I remember comparing Cary V-12 (EL-34) biasing notes with you and also the subject of Cary customer service (or lack of).

As far as the 805s go, back in the mid '90s I worked with a guy who got interested in "better end" stuff about the same time as I started dipping my toes in it.  I turned him on to my dealer in Philly, and he basically jumped in with both feet, and the amps that he wound up buying were a pair of CAD 805s.  At the time they were going for 4k a piece.  I hate to say it, but I never went over to his place to listen to the system that the dealer sold him, but every time he told me about it (and he told me about it frequently) he said that was "you-are-there-magic."  Every so often I see a pair of 805s come up on Cary's preowned site for a few thousand dollars, and it always gets me to thinking. . . .