6DJ8 vs. 6922?

Alright tube aficionados, are 6DJ8 and 6922 tubes inter-changeable? I would ask Roger Modjeski or Tim de Paravicini, but they're both dead.

Anyone care to name their favorites of each tube, for use in phono and/or line stage pre-amps?

128x128bdp24

Showing 3 responses by oddiofyl

Some of my favorite 6dj8 are the early 60s Mazda.   I had a pair of these from Brent Jessee and they sounded incredible.  Unfortunately they had kind of a short life in my CJ preamp.  That thing was hard on tubes.   

I replaced those with some mid 70s Reflektor 6922 .   Another very good sounding tube and RUGGED.   Those gave years of quiet operation whereas lesser  modern tubes would sound good for a few months but get noisy.   Like Audible Illusions the CJ preamps that used a 6922 ate tubes.   The only modern 6922 tube that is consistently good in my experience is the Gold Lion 6922 gold pin , gold grid.   

I like JJ tubes ,but  their 6922 were hit or miss.   When they were quiet they sounded great but in the CJ they weren't in there long before they were noisy

I use the JJ in my Quicksilver's driver tube and they are fine in that position

My Lab 12 DAC 1 Reference uses a pair of EH 6922 and after a year of use they still sound great .   It sounds so good with the stock tubes I am actually afraid to make any changes.   At some point I will replace them , most likely with Gold Lion .

The problem with 6dj8 and 6922 is that the NOS ones are scarce.  I'm talking true NOS, not pulls that look and test new but genuine NOS    

Once I bought a tube tester I quickly found out what tubes were good and what were junk.   I discovered that most of the tubes I bought from trusted sources were as described.  Strong emissions and balanced triode sections.   Matched quads are matched, etc    New production bought in a pinch from a music store  were the worst.   Readings were all over the map for 12ax7 and au7 type.  They must get what everyone else passes on.

As I mentioned earlier some gear is hard on tubes so NOS 6dj8 probably aren’t a good choice.  You want to use a 6922 , a ruggedized 6dj8

The Voskhod 6n23 tubes of the 70s are super rugged and last.  Those are what I used in my CJ Classic 2se

I have actually been trying to get away from this tube.   As Lynn Olson mentioned earlier they were never made for audio use, and are very inconsistent 

The good ones are $$$.   A lot of “NOS” are pulls from test equipment and military surplus electronics.