508 18 bit upgrade or just add a dac, benchmark?

Just got a Meridian 508 18 bit. I got it as an upgrade from my vernerable NAD 540. I was hoping that the Meridian would be a warmer, fuller, richer sound with more bass. Although it is a bit warmer than the NAD it is still not as full and warm as my uncle's Meridian 506 16 bit.

My system is a bit on the bright side (I think it may have more to do with the room acoustics than the components...hardwood floors). Some of my favorite punk rock sounds a little compressed without much seperation. While the Meridian is a little more relaxed than the NAD It needs to be more smooth to make long listening enjoyable. And the bass doesn't seem to be much better than the NAD...I thought Meridian were supposed to have great bass?

My system is the 508 cd player, Musical Fidelity 300A 150watt integrated amp, and Vienna Acoustics 2way Bachs speakers. The speaker wires are the audioquest CV-4 and the interconnects are the audioquest Corals.

I guess my question is, do I go for the Meridian 24 bit DAC upgrade (still $750 through Meridian) or do I go with an outboard DAC, possibly the new Benchmark or Meridian 566. Maybe I chuck the Meridian all together and get something completely different.

Any bit of input would be great...I just want to be able to listen to my music for more than an hour without being irritated.

-thanks, sean
seanbaik
Fetch,

Great info on getting my hands on some vinyl. You should write a vinyl buying guide...possibly in the "Stranger"? Get more people into analogue. With the popularity of MP3 players, even the CD player is becoming obsolete for the general public. Maybe its time for everything to come full circle. People could just buy vinyl and download their music onto mp3...vinyl for home and mp3 for the road.

What a small world. My new place is a block away from "Hi-Fi Row" on Roosevelt. I think I'll stop by Experience Audio. Its funny how I drive up and down the "Ave" and I've never seen the place. I've been to the Audio Connection on the "Ave" and I've met with the near-sighted guy there, not sure if he's still around.

I'm guessing you live pretty close to a couple of sushi places my wife and I frequent, Shiro's and Wasabi Bistro on 2nd ave ("sushi row"). We should go for a couple of beers sometime...shoot the shit.

I stopped by Hawthorne Stereo to see if they have some turntables there. But their selection was pretty limited. I've had a couple a so-so experiences with them. Fetch, you know of some other places that sell used hi-fi?
Sorry Letch...I just realized I've been typing "Fetch" the whole time. Didn't mean anything by it, must be some Freudian slip. Maybe I should take it up with my analyst...possible post traumatic stress from when my dog ran away from home when I was 6.
Fetch,

Great info on getting my hands on some vinyl. You should write a vinyl buying guide...possibly in the "Stranger"? Get more people into analogue. With the popularity of MP3 players, even the CD player is becoming obsolete for the general public. Maybe its time for everything to come full circle. People could just buy vinyl and download their music onto mp3...vinyl for home and mp3 for the road.

What a small world. My new place is a block away from "Hi-Fi Row" on Roosevelt. I think I'll stop by Experience Audio. Its funny how I drive up and down the "Ave" and I've never seen the place. I've been to the Audio Connection on the "Ave" and I've met with the near-sighted guy there, not sure if he's still around.

I'm guessing you live pretty close to a couple of sushi places my wife and I frequent, Shiro's and Wasabi Bistro on 2nd ave ("sushi row"). We should go for a couple of beers sometime...shoot the shit.

I stopped by Hawthorne Stereo to see if they have some turntables there. But their selection was pretty limited. I've had a couple a so-so experiences with them. Fetch, you know of some other places that sell used hi-fi?
Seanbaik,

No problem on the name. I thought it was kind of amusing since I'm the one who took your dog and I've trained him to clean my records, it costs me a Milk Bone dog biscuit per side but it's worth it. Kidding.....
Yeah, I had a bad experience with Hawthorne where I auditioned a preamp overnight and they dinged my card for the full amount and took nearly three weeks and countless phone calls to credit me back. I haven't been back since. They acted like total jerks about the whole deal and I talked to three different people there. Very unpleasant. Experience Audio is just down the street from Audio Connection on the other side near 51st and has much more equipment on view.
I used to write music reviews for The Stranger back when Everett True was the editor but after he left they dropped me from the freelance list because I wasn't part of the in-crowd.

As for mp3's, well I didn't like the bad sound quality of 8-tracks back in the 70's and I don't like the equivalent sounding mp3 now. Of course I'm not big on music on the go. Being a fan of John Cage means that I view the sounds around me as interesting enough to not have to inundate myself with headphones. This also means that I don't get hit by a bus because I didn't hear it while crossing the street. But yeah, I have a friend who burns his LP's to CD and then listens to those in his car.

If you want to hang out sometime, I'm game. You can email me at cletche@hotmail.com and we can exchange numbers and talk off list. I can spin you some killer vinyl and convert you to the big black discs. Also, the best sushi is at Maneki in the International District at 6th and Jackson. Seattle's oldest and best sushi restaurant. The only reason I ever go to Shiro's is for the Spanish Mackarel. They're the only place in town that carries it consistently though I Love Sushi's is better, they only have it flown in once or twice a week. It goes quick though.
As for used equipment, I don't know anywhere other than Audio Connection and Hawthorne. I use Audiogon.
Chris