500 albums in a basement flood--worth saving?

Hi--just had 6' high (relatively clean) water fill basement during recent hurricane/tropical storm. Lost everything down there including 500 albums: some late 60's rock, 70's & early 80's rock, some jazz and a few classical, most in pretty good shape prior to this. Couple of Original Master Recordings. No turntable at the moment. Insurance not covering.  Question: is it worth peeling/discarding album covers, buying 500 new sleeves, buying record cleaning machine (lots of time & labor), or just toss the lot?  Are they worth anything without the covers, just inner sleeves (what type are best, paper or plastic?)?  What is average value?  TIA.

tt1man

Showing 2 responses by au_lait

Sorry I missed the record cleaning machine mention. Agreed long time. I hate record meaning machines tbh - it’s annoying but you can actually do better with a very soft toothbrush, Dawn soap and a dish drying rack. Sleeves being ruined is a big bummer, sorry to hear about this!
Yes. Save them. My friends shop flooded and we lost about 50k records on the bottom of the shelves, but maybe a 1/3 of them were salvaged before mold took over. 500 though, is not too much hassle to clean up, couple hours work? Those records have a soul!