300Bs - does leaving them on shorten their life?

New to 300Bs....tempted to turn on and leave on all day. Instead of powering up and down many times. But I think I heard that just idling will wear them out  more quickly.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks!
vineland

Showing 2 responses by charles1dad

@vineland, 
Via another thread I discovered that you have the VAC Renaissance 70/70 amplifier. That is a superb sounding amplifier, congratulations! One of the best sounding VAC amplifiers I've ever heard and a genuine classic. 
Charles 
@Vineland,
Wise decision. Some people can make an argument for leaving the small low signal tubes on continuously (Although I don’t). I can’t imagine any reasonable case for keeping the power output tubes on 24/7, none. Now if your amplifier has a very low draw ’stand by’ mode that’s a possible exception.

Good quality 300b tubes have long lives (The EML XLS and vintage Western Electric 300bs have reported 40,000 hour lifespan) but I wouldn’t gratuitously waste useful tube lifespan leaving them on constantly. If I’m home all day I leave my 300b amplifiers (Mono blocks) on through out the day if  listening sessions are planned  and then shut them down at the end of the day . I do this rather than turning on and off multiple times during the day.
Charles