300B or 845?

am new to tubes.
I have read the archives.
Can anyone explain the inherent differences between the sonic character of 300B and 845 tubes?
Given the amp cicuits are good and built to utilise the strengths of the tube - what differences are audible on 96db sensitivity speakers?
My music is all acoustic - and 90% is female vocal. I love the sound of a sweet intimate vocal - there are not that many - plus single instruments: guitar, viola, flute, fiddle. I like melody and rhythm. I don't cope with massed instruments be it orchestral or rock bands.
Any advice is deeply appreciated.
eril
Right now I have an 845 amp - deHavilland Ios - and a 300B - Audio Note Meishu. They are both excellent, but different. The 845 is more dynamic with better PRAT, and possibly soundstages more specifically. The 845 has tighter, deeper bass. The 300B is more natural with more bloom, more 3 dimensional. I enjoy them both and as some will tell it's simply more fun to have more than one amp. I don't like the cost of the 300B tubes. And there are fewer 845s to choose from. The 845 is more powerful and will give you more headroom.

For your listening prefs I would recommend the 300B. It is great with that kind of music and is more natural with acoustic instruments. With 96 db you should do fine with a 300B.

But please take my comments with salt since they are not only different tubes but different designs as well with different goals.
What it comes down to is the available of the NOS 845 vs the NOS 300B and the new breed of the 300Bs.
Keep in mind that modern 845s are not as good as the modern 300Bs.
[Keep in mind that modern 845s are not as good as the modern 300Bs]

Thats a respected opinion...but TJ Full Music, KR Audio and some others make premium 845 tubes that can compare to the best NOS 845 tubes (another opinion). This is from a comparison test with NOS RCA/WE glass using samples from TJ and KR Audio. I could not justify spending the $ on the NOS tubes with these well done modern gems available.

300B/845 are 2 different tubes with strengths in specific areas of the audio-band. If you want LUSH MIDS, an 845 can be the ticket...thought keep in mind 845's have rolled off bass and highs. 300B's are more well rounded across the audio-band but don't quite excel at the mid-range like a 845 tube can...again this is my (and my ears) opinion...
Oh the eternal question. I can't argue with any of the above. The 845 is more neutral with greater drive and dynamics. Base and treble are better defined and base deeper. 300B's have that tube mid range magic, which may well just be colouration, but who cares if it sounds so good. I prefer 845's, but could live happily with a 300B. Tube price is no small consideration, the premium 845's from China, may not be as perfect as the best 300B's, but you don't need a new mortgage to buy a pair.
Eril, what did you do? In the 1-3/4 years since I posted above, the Quad 989s and ASL 805s have been replaced, first with Eminent Technology 8s and ASL Hurricanes running in triode, and then with DIY, line-array, open-baffle speakers... http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/OB%20JG6518%20speakers/12Decfmlisteningpos_800w.jpg ...and 2.5WPC SETs.

My room is largish at c. 3200CF, and I listen at moderate levels, rarely reaching 95dB peaks. I listen to large-scale Classical and film music, and this system sounds simply excellent. The system is triamped so I'm using all of a combined 10 Watts (both channels) from 40 Hz up.

You might consider the Music Reference EM7 amp... http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/6EM7-13EM7.html . It retails for $950 but currently it's introductory priced at $850, and there's a return privelege (with a reasonable restocking fee, I believe). Pics are here http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Music%20Reference%20EM7/ .