$27,500 for whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

$27,500 is a nice chunk of change, even in the audiophile world.  I think we can all agree on this.  You can get a pretty kick ass system for that amount.  I think we can all agree on this, too.  I just read something at stereophile.com that almost...almost made me choke on my triscuit.   Luckily for me, I had water ready to go, knowing how dry those things are.  $27,500 is the price for a paint upgrade, a color called cranberry pearl finish on a pair of speakers made by Wilson, the Chronosonic XVX.   Now, when we hear the name Wilson, we all know what that means.   But come on man,  $27,500 for a paint upgrade. 
shtinkydog

Showing 6 responses by shtinkydog

Exactly, Andy.  People are all worked up over subjectivity.  $27 G's isn't subjective, it's a fact.
So, I just remembered, Wilson used (and maybe still does) a 6.5" paper mid supplied from SB acoustics.  The thing was $65.  So i don't know what's worse, a $27,500 paint job, or putting in a $65 mid in a six figure speaker, even worse, both!  So you tell me, who's shafting who? 
Andy, I agree.  All Wilsons should come with a vat of Vaseline lube cuz the buyer is getting shafted. 
I just remembered something that kinda put things into prospective.  My elderly neighbor had her entire house painted 2 years ago both inside and out, as well as her garage.  The house is around 1800 sq. ft., 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths and the garage is a standard 2 car structure.  She paid the painters $12,000.
I would've done it for half.  And Wilson wants $27,500 to paint 2 boxes.