$ 2500 ....Stay with Vandersteens ??...what else ?

Please refer my "system" to see my current set-up. Everything sounds wonderful together.....extremely musical, great soundstage depth and width, beautiful rendition of timbre and tone, natural presentation of voices and acoustics. BUT....I have the speaker "upgrade itch," wanting fuller, richer, deeper sound, and I need advice from my friends at Audiogon.

I spend around three hours a night of "serious listening," about 2/3 digital and 1/3 vinyl. Roughly 70% of my enjoyment is 1950's - 1960's jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Basie, Rollins, Brubeck, Ella, Mobley, Morgan, etc., etc.), 25% "classic rock" that I grew up with (Allman Brothers, Dead, Dylan, CSNY, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Led Zep, Yes, Hot Tuna, etc.), and the other 5% "newer jazz audiophile stuff" (Patricia Barber, Rebecca Pigeon, etc.)

Keeping the rest of my system the same (except for bi-wire speaker cables if needed), what do you guys recommend for new speakers ? Vandersteen 2CE Sig. II's seem a natural option, but what else should I consider ? I'm open to all kinds of suggestions. Thanks a lot, and Happy Listening !
adam18
I would definitely stay with Vandersteen if you're already happy with them. The differences that other speakers present are only due to one form of coloration or another in my opinion. No other speaker line goes to as great a length to minimize coloration and faithfully reproduce the input signal, all for a justifiable price. I'm sure the 2s would be a nice step up but wouldn't rule out a nice used pair of 3As if you can find someone upgrading to the Quatro or 5A. With the 3A you'd get better integration with a pair of Vandersteen subs when budget allows and that combination would get you very close to what the Quatros can deliver.
100% agree with Sonofjim. The 3As are definitely worth the extra costs, just a matter of when you get there, but the 2Ces are a very nice place to park for a while as money allows.
Adam18,
John (audioconnection) is way too modest to share his true knowledge and expertise. He has created musically thrilling systems using medium powered tube amps and Vandersteen speakers for many many years. If there is one person on this planet you should trust with advice about this type of system, it's johnnyr. My first high end system was a pair of Vandersteen 1B's and a 40 watt quicksilver amp. Still , 15 years and thousands of dollars later one of the most purely satisfying systems I've owned. Your posts share your joyful listening experiences with your system. This is due to the synergy of the rogue and the 1C's. Substituting the II sigs will give you both more and less. The rogue is only
barely powerful enough for the II sigs. If, on the other hand, you do as john suggests, place a high pass filter in the rogue, and add the Vandersteen 2WQ,
a superb music sub, it's a win/win/win. First, you'll seamlessly add bass and rhythmic drive, you retain the magical synergy between the Rogue and the IC's adding articulation and transparency by relieveing the rogue from amplifying bass notes below 80Hz, and have a significant amount of change to upgrade your analog front end with a first class moving magnet cartridge. An improved front end will be an addition you can cary forward as you upgrade other parts of the system.
If in the future you'd feel the need to upgrade to Vandersteen 3Sigs, the combination of the 2WQ and the 3Sigs is heavenly.
John has led more audiophiles (including me) to musical satisfaction than anyone i know, and NO ONE is better at system matching with Vandersteens than he is. Just my .02.

(I have no financial or business relationship with john other than respect for his abilities)
Hey Jdolgin...............Thanks for your response. You've really made a lot of sense. Last December, when I decided to upgrade from my old Arcam Delta 90 integrated amp and Marantz CD-63SE player, I spoke several times with both John Ruttan at Audio Connection and Mark O'Brien at Rogue Audio. I explained what I really enjoyed about the way my Arcam/Marantz/NAD set-up drove my Vandersteen 1C's, and what I was hoping to "hear in the music" through the Vandy's with new electronics. After much research and review reading, I followed the advice of both gentlemen, and bought the Rogue Audio Cronus and the Rotel RCD-1072. The entire transaction process with John was a pleasure.

As you can see from my posts, I'm extremely happy with "all my stuff." I've recently spoken with John again, and he thoughtfully and happily explained the rationale behind his recommendation of the high pass filter/Vandy 2WQ upgrade, while kepping my 1C speakers. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Your recommendation has further enlightened me as to the benefits of this idea. So,.....the saga continues