$2500 speaker threshold

Hello everyone,

Recently I was reading the latest edition of Robert Harley's The Complete Guide to High End Audio. In an early chapter he refers to a "significant" disparity in quality between speakers selling for just under $2500 & selling selling for just over $2500. I'd never heard of this before.

I realize that quality is supposed to improve with price, but Harley was clear in stating that the $2500 threshold marked a larger gap in quality than would be seen in other price-point differences. Unfortunately he didn't elaborate on just what made the >2500s better than the <$2500s.

Anyone know what that might be about?

andy
andykkk

Showing 1 response by andykkk

Interesting comments.

As I wrote in another thread, my system is nearfield--speakers on my desk about four feet apart w/some toe-in. Right now they're the Spendor SA1, which have been reviewed as being both excellent nearfield monitors & unfussy about placement--two essential qualities for any possible replacement.

And I'm really on the fence about upgrading. Before I read Mr. Harley's comment I would have thought that for my particular needs spending more money would lead to diminishing returns--I know there are many monitors out there no larger--& even smaller than mine--that cost more & probably outperform the Spendors. But given the limitations of placement I have to work with would their qualities necessarily shine through?

Everything equal my first choice for an upgrade would be a no-brainer: the Harbeth Compact 7. But I just don't see them on my desk. Comments elsewhere, however, lead me to believe that P3esr might be worth looking into--even though it doesn't really constitute an *upgrade* per se.

But again, I may just hang to & enjoy what I've got. I really have no complaints whatever. It's just that I spend nine hours every day working at my desk, so getting the best possible sound I can afford is pretty serious business for me.

andy