21 year old AV receiver - waiting for the end?

Since 2002 my Rotel RSX-1055 has been on almost every single day. It has never failed in well over 20,000 hours of running - maybe 30,000. My $1200 investment has worked out well (However, had I put this in Apple stock, it would be about 150k). I know that capacitors can dry out over time, so I looked into some preventive maintenance. Rotel’s answer was it’s not supported, they don’t have parts, and a local shop who does a lot of work on old amps, mostly tube stuff, says they don’t work on AV receivers. I doubt I can find anyone to do this. So my question is, what will the end look like? Is it likely to fade out one day? Will there be a faint sizzle sound, or smell of electronics frying? Or will I wake up one morning to find it has passed quietly in the night? How long could this thing last? I don’t want to give up on it.

karavite

Showing 1 response by mahler123

Not worth replacing when it does go, but no reason to junk it until then.  If you are worried that there might be a gap of time between when it goes and when you settle on a replacement, you can probably pick up a used AVR of more recent vintage for next to nothing.  Just verify that it works at time of purchase, keep it around in reserve, and when the Arcam dies use it as a temporary stopgap.  I have an old Pioneer AVR in the basement that I used as a preamp for a few weeks when  my Cary preamp needed some maintenance