$2000 Tektons, which one for my use?

Hi,

I'm new here, glad I found this forum. I have a receiver from 2007, specifically the  Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH.
I'd like to hook up a pair of stereo speakers to listen to music only, no movie watching. There are quite a few choices in my price range for full-range speakers (Lore, Uruz, Perfect SET, Enzo XL)  I've read through their descriptions and customer reviews on Tekton website, but have not heard any in person. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so exotic specs and ultra exotic amps, DACs, interconnects,... are not in my realm of knowledge. I'm just looking for a fairly good pair of speakers to listen to rock music and classical. My music collection is all on CDs. I do have an SVS subwoofer (cylinder shape, about 4feet tall) that I can pair with the speakers. What would you recommend as a starting point? Should I consider mid-range speakers? Thank you for any advice!
atemoya

Showing 5 responses by millercarbon

I think I read some where that you asked Eric if he change the 4 ohm Moab's to 8ohm?
Yes and I had mine made the standard 4 ohm because it sounds better. Mine are run now with a 20wpc Raven Blackhawk, play 106dB at the sweet spot in my large room, and with clarity precision and detail that must be heard to be believed. I would never even think of going 8 ohm.
I'm going to ask him a similar question. Can you change a 8ohm speaker to a 4ohm?

That's a different question. Because the first one was about Moab, but this time its about "a speaker". The total impedance of a speaker is in part the impedance of each driver, but also in the way the drivers are connected, in series or in parallel. So the answer could be yes, could be no. Or it could be yes but only with different drivers. It all depends on the particular speaker.  

That is as good a way of looking at it as any. When I was close to buying Ulf I called and talked with teajay who immediately said don’t, get Moab instead. He said there is hardly any difference between Moab and Ulf, and you can buy an awful lot of stuff for the difference in price.

There are of course differences between all these models. Between many of them however the differences are less than putting one on Townshend Podiums. For the difference in price between Moab and Ulf you could get a Raven Blackhawk, or Podiums, or a serious crossover upgrade like I did, or even some combination thereof. These are all bigger improvements than what you hear between models.    

Whatever you do decide, when you finally do get it home I think your reaction will be like mine the last time I bought a TV many years ago. After spending an inordinate amount of time researching and agonizing over the tiniest differences between models, when I finally got the damn thing home it was so startlingly obviously amazingly better than what I had before it was like, "I coulda thrown a dart!" lol!
Leverage: a means of multiplying your work to achieve results far greater than expected from your small input.

Example: say how impossible something is, knowing full well this will trigger certain others to prove you wrong, ultimately accomplishing your true goal without you having to do any of the work yourself.

Rent: free.
Good luck finding Tekton used. They are 12 weeks wait for a reason. There is no wait for the speakers others recommend for a reason. Only thing is the reasons only become clear once you actually buy a pair and hear them. At that point you realize the long wait was worth it, and you understand why so many go through it, and why they hang onto them. So really the choice is do you want now speakers or good speakers? No right or wrong, just now or good.
I own Moabs, have heard Pendragon XL, and active in the FB Tekton Owner's Group. I would say first of all no worries about the sound, that is a given. The best indicator is they sell a ton but yet hardly any ever come up used. Instead focus on what you really want it for, where it will be used, practical considerations like that. Impact Monitors would be great, but you may want a floor stander. That kind of thing.   

I would lean Perfect SET 15 due largely to that being a bit warmer balance than the others which will probably be an advantage with your receiver. But it is a close call. Honestly there are no bad choices here, they are all very easy to drive and will go great with what you have.

Also these are so good, relative to what you have, that you could either be super happy and done, or else they could serve as a foundation for building a much better system. They are that good.   

The reason I say this is most of us here are so obsessed with hair-splitting details we forget there are people who just want to get something good and enjoy it. That you will do with any of these, and with ease.   

Another thing to consider, availability. That could range from ship next week to ship next year.