2 ch. or 5.1 amp for HT mostly for music

I have just gotten back into audio after having raised 3 children. I bought an HK 325 receiver and 2 rti polk speakers along with a center. At some point for HT, I will probably add surrounds. Here's the problem. If I had it to do again, I probably would not buy any of the above, although neither the HK nor the polks are terrible. I listen mostly to music. Would I be better off to buy a 2 channel stereo amp or a 5.1 amp. I'm leaning toward a 2 channel. If I do go with the 2 ch. will this stll work when I add the surrounds. Again mostly music for me but some movies for the wife and family. I am also in the market for some good used speakers.
papertrail

Showing 1 response by c123666

An Arcam AVR300 is a wonderful 5.1 (7.1, too, methinks) receiver with 120 watts per channel, an excellent 2 channel sound that bypasses the digital processing, and all the processing modes anybody needs. No need for an external amp; nice looking, not terribly expensive especially if you find one used.

A used AVR200 is a great buy at around 700 but with 70watts per channel. Note that both of these receivers have pretty good moving magnet phono sections unlike most home theatre products.

Highly recommended. I don't have one; had the AVR200 for some time and sold it as the wife did not like the remote control. Go figure. Use an Integra 7.3 now which is very good; not quite as good as the Arcam in stereo mode but pretty close. Plenty of power, too, for the relatively easy to drive Gallo Mirco/Due combination.