2.0 Stereo speakers on a $2000 budget?

After finding this forum and looking around here, I'm not sure anyone has a budget. WOW! $35,000 speakers!
But, is there any advise someone could give me? I want to get a pair of good stereo speakers for $2000 or less.
I have a new NAD C 356BEE integrated amp. As well as a 30 something year old NAD 1020B pre-amp and 2200 power amp. I can use a vinyl source with the 1020B or other analog with both the 1020B and the C 356BEE. I had a Thorens turntable with a Lynn tonearm and cartridge but it got lost after the divorce.
My living room is 14' X 21' X 8' high. I like all kinds of music. Some of it pretty loud.
Help would be greatly appreciated or maybe I should just move along.
Thank you.
nadamp

Showing 3 responses by mb1audio

I would go with a pair of Vandersteen Model 1's. You can put them next to anything you want up to 2k. Over the years, I've compared them to at least 30 different speakers, and have yet to hear something that I would say sounds better for anything near what they cost.
" The OP has a budget of $2000 or less.Why would you recommend these? Just curious!"

He may be willing to buy used.
"mb1, Yes, at his/her budget the 2C signatures are out of range. I was thinking they were within 10% of budget ($2200). Buying used would be within budget. I have heard earlier versions of both the 1C and 2C and felt that the 2C would better pressurize the OP's room given he mentioned that he sometimes plays music loud. I believe any of the later model 2Cs to be great all around speakers, could be driven by the NAD 356 amp, would fit his room size, and accommodate all types of music. I also mentioned there were many other choices available (as per samac), though I was hesitant to recommend a single one. Truly believe the Vandys to be a worthy contender considering the OP's situation. "

I used to have the 1's, and now have the 2's and 3's. The 2's are definately a better speaker, but the 1's are much easier to drive. Given the large room and high volume requirements, I think they're a safer choice. The NAD may strain trying to push the 2's in that room. However, if the OP plans on upgrading in the future, the 2's are definately good enough to be a last speaker purchase. 

Another option may be to get a pair of 1's and a sub. Later on, another sub can be added, and 2 subs work really well with the Model 2 and 3's, so they can be a solid, long term purchase. 

Someone else mentioned the Monitor Audio Silver 8's. I had a pair of those and thought they were great. I wouldn't take them over the Vandersteen, but they would probably be a 2nd choice. MA does a really nice job with their cerimac coated tweeters.