16 ohms speakers- 8 ohms output amp

I just bought Fertin EX20. These are 8 inch field coild drivers that I'll be using in an open-baffle. I'm also looking to buy an amp, but most tube amps are 8 or 4 ohms output. Since they are 16 ohms, could I be using amps with 8 ohms. Will I be losing something? thanks.
laurentgilles
Well, diyhifisupply.com has a few kits. Hagerman in the US has others. Look at JPO's site, you'll find many refs.
But again, I cannot agree more with d-k: attack the spkrs for now, the amp can come later. Enjoy!
I have to give my thumbs up for the Eastern Electric Minimax power amp. I've got one in my system* driving my newly acquired Avanti IIIs from the 4 ohm outputs. For an 8 watt amp, it really has a surprising control of the big Audiophysics - everything I could really want for reasonable in-room listening volumes. A bit of an audiophile bargain. And I'm not a dealer or distributor, just a (very) happy customer from Scotland.

John

* System: NA Spacedeck HD/Lyra Helikon/Dyna P75/RA Opus 21 cd/Minimax pre-power (with NOS tubes)/Audiophysic Avanti III
Montreal Québec Canada. I got a pair of FLB20 and i have try different configurations, even free air no baffle(it is not bad at all). Definitly better ported, plus a sub. with any amp, connected dirrectly, it is magic. No driver reach that transparency an presence.I will sell them soon
Hi. I have the PHY open baffle. They sound marvellous with OTL amp, at least for my taste. cheers
Laurentgilles, you will do well with any tube amp that has an 8 ohm tap and maybe a little better if it has 16 ohms.

When you drive a 16 ohm load using the 8 ohm tap, what happens is that the load impedance that the tube(s) see(s) is also increased. The output section will then make less power, but the distortion that the power tube or tubes make will be reduced! However, the transformer will make increased distortion due to some ringing, which will be minor.

Of course, a low-power OTL will drive a Fertin effortlessly, and with greater transparency than you will be able to get out of a transformer-coupled amp driving 16 ohms. So instead of limited choices, your speaker actually gives you a wider range of choice than many speakers do. Everything I have heard about Fertins suggests that they are *awesome*... Have fun!!