15k for streamer and dac....how much on each?

for a music first, streaming only, two channel system.......with 15k in pocket (can buy new or used)  is the general rule of thumb 50/50 split on the budget?

do any all in one units at this price point compare to separates?

What choice did you land on at your respective budgets?

I've not had the greatest experience with streamers.....sound more similar than dissimilar to my admittedly non golden untrained ears

audiocanada

Personally would never spend more than $2k on a dac.  Unless you’re so wealthy this is chump change.  Dac tech changes so fast that DACs lose value faster than any other part of your system.  Additional, the newer DACs crush the older DACs.  I’d take a $600 smsl dac from 2024 over a $10000 dac from 2018 all day long.  

@jaxwired , how much of a difference do you find between the SMSL and the Wyred4Sound DACs that you own? Which one do you prefer?

The Audio Mirror Toubadour IV SE at $3500 with tube is the most musical DAC I've heard and hand made in the USA.. The T+A 200 at $7200 is also excellent....Good luck in your search.

OP not sure what the rest of your system is but for 17,500 retail the Grimm MU2 is gaining a lot of traction. Usually in a streamer/dac combo the streaming portion is the weak link. Grimm is known for their streamer (Mu1) and have added a world class Master Dac. The Preamp section rivals high end stand alones. You can add storage if you like. 
One box ,power chord ,IC.  Great chance it will sound better than any seperates  you can put together. 

Post removed