15 ohm speakers yea or nay?

I just bought Falcon speakers that are 15 ohms. I have Harbeths that are 6 ohms. Both have the same sensitivity rating of 83db. I am using both with the same tube amps.

What has me scratchin’ my head is that the Falcons are much louder with the volume set the same on my preamp.

Any opinions on why a 15 ohm speaker would be that  much different than a 6 ohm speaker with the same sensitivity specs?

THX

128x128yogiboy

@brianportugal

It sounds like you have fine gear with those Falcons so I really can’t suggest changing anything. I prefer 2 way standmount type speakers. It surprised me that I like the HL5. I haven’t had a 3 way speaker since Vandrsteens many moons ago. I really don't miss any of the speakers that I have owned but I must say that I had a Spendor 2 1/2 way floorstander that I should have kept. BTW, those Falcons are a bargain compared to the many other she box size speakers out there. Enjoy them!

Yogiboy, I’m glad the SHL5 Plus has lived up to your expectations. They are good speakers. I suspect the Quicksilver tube amp brought out the best in the Harbeth. I have used solid-state amps with the Harbeth all my life, about 12 years and the speakers sounded good but not exactly spectacular. Apart from the Quicksilver, the Harbeth also sounds great with Leben.

I’ve recently moved on from the Harbeth to Graham LS5/9. I find the Graham to have better clarity, detail and openness than the SHL5+. I am currently driving the Graham with a Luxman solid state.

Enjoy the Harbeth SHL5+.

Just a follow-up. I sold my Oppo sonica dac and substituted a  Geshelli j2 with the akm4499  and sparkos op amps. What an amazing change. I love the Falcons with the Belles equipment. I also  have a rogue Cronus magnums2 but haven’t tried it. I’m wondering what a Conrad Johnson integrated might sound like.