120V or 240V

Hi everyone! I am ordering Symphonic Line monoblocs from Germany and am debating whether to have them run on 120 or 240V. I have a dedicated 240V line already installed in my listening room that I use with an Equi=Tech power conditioner that converts 240 into 120 (I used this when I lived in Europe a couple of years back).

Any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of running amps on 120 vs 240V would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!
drv

Showing 3 responses by jea48

I agree with Kurt tank......
Something else to think about, after market power cords. You can not use a standard NEMA 5-15R or a 5-20R 120 V receptacle on a 240V branch circuit.
Power is power.... easy as PIE..... P = I x E.
Power = (watts, VA)
I = (amps)
E = (volts)

NEC 2008
210.6 Branch Circuit Voltage Limitations.
210.6 (A) Occupancy Limitation. In dwelling units and guest rooms or guest suites of hotels, motels, and similar occupancies, the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between conductors that supply the terminals of the following:
(1) Luminaires (light fixtures)
(2) Cord-and-plug connected loads 1440 volt-amperes, nominal, or less or less than 1/4 hp.

A third possible difference, that I should have included in my previous post:

3)Leakage currents between the ac input and chassis/circuit ground in the amp, that might flow through parasitic capacitances or resistances in the power transformer, would be greater with 240V applied than with 120V. I would expect those currents to most likely be insignificant, but if there were any significance it would be in the direction of favoring 120V.
01-07-10: Almarg
Al, I was thinking the same thing..... Wonder what effect equipment fed from 240V as well as 120V connected together by ics would be? Possibly a greater chance of a ground loop?
Jim