1099-K from PayPal (tax form)

It looks like I am getting a 1099-k form from PayPal for the first time. I sold a lot of audio items last year, used, while upgrading my system and swapping things around. Obviously I am not a business, not in this for profit, and did not make money, lost money. It’s just a hobby, a costly one.

I am guessing I have to report this with my taxes. However, the form only has the gross proceeds from PayPal, not my original purchase price. How do I deal with this? Any particular section on Turbo Tax to enter these?
128x128thyname

Showing 1 response by ivanj

PayPal just stomped a very large sale over the holidays because it was "over my recent sales pricing." Guess they forgot the 5 figure sales per transaction - reported the income -  done with Japan and Eastern Europe for 10 years. Never had an unhappy customer. Now they want me to prove who I am and a lot more. Guess I am being ’disappeared.’ Flame off.

I think PayPal is under the gun because of cryptocurrency transactions as well as the $5k money laundering limit. I think ETSY, etc. has something to do with it - craft hobby and artisan businesses - who reports that stuff? I’ve met couples who have been making a great living making ’artisan’ items for decades and have never declared a dime in income.

My advice is to get a good accountant. You’ll get back more than his/her fee.

The only time I was ever audited was when I did my taxes with Intuit. If the ’accountant’ you find uses it, run.

PS
Does anyone know of a good alternative to PP?