Zu Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale today

The good folks at Zu certainly know a thing or two about creating hype around new products. The Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale this morning. It was positioned as a first come first served release with a November delivery. I bought a pair with the "supreme" upgrade. A little risky buying without hearing them first, but I figure I can probably unload them if they're not to my liking, since they'll probably sell out. Any thoughts on these or Zu in general for that matter ..

128x128davidrolon

Zu DW6 Superfly in the house.

Very brief initial impressions…Still have that awesome Zu house sound but they’re definitely more detailed and nuanced than my Omen MKII.  They already sound better than the KLH model 5s that are going back (my most recent demo). Going to run them in over the next couple of days and post more in depth thoughts and some pics Sunday. 

First listen they sound like winners. I think I’m going to be very happy for a very long time. 

Please let us know how they are.  I have Omen 2s and am seriously thinking about getting a pair of these.

Will do. I’m planning on doing a lot of listening this weekend. The Superfly comes with 200hrs of break in and I’m using them with other well worn in equipment.  I wish I had my Omen MKII in the same space to AB but unfortunately they’re at a buddies music studio at the moment.  However, I’ve lived with those speakers since 2016 and know them pretty darn well. I’ll do my best to post something meaningful and helpful on Sunday.  

So I’ve spent the better part of the day with these and here are my initial impressions. 

Again my system Sonos Port to Schiit Bifrost Multibit to Arcam SA20. Crutchfield  speaker cables and OSD interconnects. I have the satin black with the Superfly upgrade package.  

These seem to indeed be noticeably more detailed, and resolving. I was expecting to take a hit in detail when moving from the KLH Model 5 I’m also demoing. Not so at all. However somehow they are MUCH more forgiving than the KLH. Two very different speakers. Just an AB I happen to have in front of me at the moment. 

From memory they are also much more detailed and resolving than my Omen MKII. I venture to guess they can more rewarding/punishing of gear being used to run them. They certainly still have that Zu sound but it is more refined and elegant. Perhaps a tad less warm and fuzzy. 

The bass seems improved as well…in just about every way. You can increase the bass by pushing these bad boys into a corner/up against a wall. They will thump, but in a very musical and pleasing manner. 

They play pleasantly at low levels but really start to come alive when you push peaks into the low 80s in my listening space. 

I think summing it up these are definitely a step up in a lot of ways from any of the previous Omen/DW iterations.  They are certainly less fussy about placement and the dreaded gap height fiddling is moot (I have mine on Zus sources rubber isolation feet). They are not as forgiving to recordings but are more rewarding on the top end. Detail retrieval cohesion and bass have all been improved. If you’re someone looking for more refinement this might be a great spot between resolution and forgiveness. 

If you want a super fat warm Zu Sound that’s still here…but you might be better served with the standard DW6 and throw the $499 Superfly upgrade at some tubes/tubed equipment.