Zu Audio Modded Denon 103's

I bought a Zu Audio DL 103 Mk II cartridge - Grade 2 Prime cartridge for $1099 as a spare as my other cartridge was being repaired/inspected. At the time (September 2020), the cartridge sounded pretty good - this was my first modded DL 103. However, just as the cartridge was breaking in (~ 35 hours), I accidently hit my tonearm and sent it towards the platter and unfortunately snapped the cantilever right off. After a few cuss words, I realized there wasn't much I could do except send it in for a retip. So the next day, I sent it to VAS Audio to get it retipped. When Steve examined the cartridge, he told me that the right terminal of the cartridge was damaged internally and that due to the make of the cartridge (epoxy filled) that repairing it would be an issue. I then reached out to Zu Audio who confirmed that repair was not possible (after I sent the cartridge back to them) and the best they could do was offer me 20% off on a new cartridge. I definitely wasn't going to go down that route again - I tried to get the 20% discount on other Zu products, but was told that the offer was only good for cartridges. So, worst $1100 ever spent. I know accidents like this are isolated incidents, but it does happen. So those of you that are looking into the Zu modded Denon's - keep this in mind.

Since I didn't have another spare cartridge, Steve did send me one of his modded Denon's with a wooden body and elliptical stylus. The VAS cartridge sounded warmer and better than the Zu cartridge and at half the price. To those that are in the market for modded 103's there are tons of options out there - I would recommend giving VAS audio a try before pursuing the more expensive Zu Audio or other cartridges that use epoxy as fillers to add mass. This way if something goes wrong, at least there is the option to repair the cartridge.

128x128rdk777

Showing 4 responses by chakster

I accidently hit my tonearm and sent it towards the platter and unfortunately snapped the cantilever right off.

Zu Audio is not a cartridge manufacturer, they got their cartridges from DENON, they are not a re-tipping company. You broke the cartridge by yourself and you paid for your mistake, why do you want Zu Audio to take responsibility if you destroy your cartridge by yourself ? This is an MC cartridge, once the cantilever is bent you’re done, it’s over. You could ask Zu before you bought their version of Denon, I asked and they told me they do not re-tip.

Why do you think Zu Audio must give you 20% discount? Even for your broken cartridge their 20% discount for a new one is a compliment! They don’t owe you anything, why do you pretend for 20% discount for their speakers or cables? It’s ridiculous.

I agree the price is crazy for Denon, you could buy superior cartridge for the same price with better cantilever and better stylus tip, many modern cartridges available (ART-9 for example) or MM and MI with user replaceable stylus. If you want the cheapest rebuild go for SoundSmith cartridges. Or just find a decent MM cartridge and spare styli you can change by yourself.

As I long time Zu Audio speakers owner I just say it's a pleasure to deal with Zu Audio. Their return policy is the best in the world, but only for products made by Zu Audio. Not for Japanese made Denon cartridge. 

There is a difference between stuff made by Zu, in the USA their return policy is the best you can imagine, you can return everything for full refund. You can return $10 000 speakers or $700 cables for full refund if you don’t like them for whatever reason. This is Zu and their customer support (I think it’s great). I bought speakers, drivers, upgrade kits, cables so many times from them.

But you can’t return Denon modified by Zu (using epoxy and new cartridge body) and damaged by yourself. You can return it if there is a factory defect detected on arrival during first listening session.

I bought Denon DL-103D last month NOS (sealed in the box), it’s better cartridge than 103 and 103R, without any modification the 103D comes with Elliptical tip and the price is about $400-500.

I didn’t say anything about vintage cartridges in your thread prior to this post about my 103D, but actually you bought a vintage DL-103 designed in the 60’s for radio broadcast (still in production without any upgrades, except for new Zu body for over $1k).

At ~ $1k there are many new carts available direct from the manufacturers. This is what I said.

I accidently hit my tonearm and sent it towards the platter and unfortunately snapped the cantilever right off...

I sent it to VAS Audio... When Steve examined the cartridge, he told me that the right terminal of the cartridge was damaged ...

Why do you want Zu Audio to rebuild a cartridge damaged by you (not only externally, but internally too) ? 

It’s not their business to fix broken cartridges for others.

Beand New DL103 cost only $260

Buy Zu Audio speakers and cables, some of them are excellent (Made in Utah, USA). Best customer support from the manufacturer, great return policy (full refund guaranteed for their own stuff).

Regarding cartridges: just shop elsewhere, buy from the manufacturer (or dealer) and ask for return policy before you pay for it.

In high-end business many companies use the same business model. You can buy cheap cartridge generator from one company in a new fancy body from another company for x4 price.