Zingali Overture series thumbs "up" or "down"

I am unable to demo the Zingali Overture 2s and 4s. Does anyoone have first hand experience and/or useful coments? (no dealers please). Thanks
davkle

Showing 2 responses by 6550c

Judging by the lack of reviews for 6+ years, I guess not too many are using these. I just picked up a slightly used pair over Overature 4s and am still adjusting them and learning how to place them in a system. The dealer had them in a SET system with carefully selected music and they sounded first rate. Reading others posts, I would go along with Skipperrik and Ciscomc. I find the bass to be great. The detail to be excellent.Good bass extension, deep and powerfull,tight control and no boom. The bass is much more than i would expect from two 6" woofers. The midrange tends to be a "shouty and PAish" (with the wrong cables) as someone stated, so, I hope this goes away with burn in and the right cables. As stated, the cable selection does have a BIG inpact. Just by trying the cables on hand, I am finding that Analysis Oval 9(large braded copper) sound much better (better tonal balance and softer mids) than Cardas Quadlink (which i tend to perfer 99% of the time) Cardas tends to feed the midrange shout more than tame it. The speakers tend to sound best on solo insturments or simple arrangements. They did sound poor to average on hard rock or complex music like Joe Walsh's "Turn to Stone" (which, btw, is a AWESOME SoundLabs). They sound excellent on the Eagles' "Hotel California". These speakers are also very dependant on placement from the walls. The dealer suggested really close to wall and even room corners. I think this gives the better Hz balance, but not the best soundstage and/or image. The space between the speakers needs to be somewhat larger than I am used to too, which looks wrong but sounds better? IMO, they are really tube speakers. Right now, I am using an el-cheapo 60w UL-PP, so with a better amp they would sound better.

All in all these may be an above average speaker with allot of effort, but I am saving $$$$ for another pair of Soundlabs. I really NEED my Soundlabs back !!!!
Hi Marty.

Do you know what brand of drivers they used? I have poked around on line and found some indication that Zingali, at one time or another, OEMed the drivers from JBL, but maybe only on the "pro" models made before a certain year. So, i was not sure what they put in the home models made in about 1996 or so?