Your first component that was "special"

I got into hifi 40 years ago. I had a Pioneer receiver, Kenwood table, various entry level cartridges (ADC, Stanton, Empire) and Studio Design speakers. I wound up buying a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. That was the first piece of gear I bought that was way beyond ordinary. I had kept the cartridge until about 2o years ago- I sold it because by then no decent replacement stylus was available. Wish I still had it.

128x128zavato

Showing 1 response by johnch993

It was the late 80's.  My system consisted of a decent turntable and integrated amp driving marginal speakers.  The latter seemed like the weak link, so after auditioning a number of possible replacements, I placed an order for the Snell E. 

The day I arrived to pick them up, the dealer was in the process of setting up a pair of Magnepan MG1Cs that had just arrived.  Although I had read about Maggies, I had never heard them, so asked if I could take a listen.  I was blown away.  Compared to the Snells, the bass and highs were severely lacking, but the soundstage...  Oh the soundstage.  I had never experienced anything like it, and was hooked.  The Maggies were more expensive than the Snells, which were already over my meager budget, but it didn't matter.  I had to have them.  It's been an expensive and slippery slope ever since.

-John