Your budget - $20K - best system for a small room

If I could start over and develop a system for a small listening room (11 x 12 x 8) with a budget of $20K total, what 2-channel system would you recommend. Used is OK. Digital source and FM tuner. Remote required. I listen to jazz, vocals, classical. Once it's built, I would like to describe it as musical, refined, smooth.
Thanks for your ideas.
Joel
joeldoss

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"Joel":

You could take my system (which retails for well under $10K) and change the speakers from the outstanding (but admittedly forward sounding) KEF Reference 102 Speaker System and get some outstanding refined small speakers like the ProAc Tablette 2000, Spendor S3/5 or Totem Model 1, add a sub like an REL Strata II or Strata III, and then go for a more expensive and more refined digital source like a used Sony SCD-777ES (this SACD player WILL DEFINITELY stretch my system's envelope to its upmost maximum capability). Then I would spend the rest on very nice vinyl setup (a Clearaudio Champion or VPI Aries Scout with a smooth sounding cartridge like a Dynavector that is plugged into something like an used AcousTech PH-1 or the newest version of the Monolithic PS-2 and its matching external power supply). As for the tuner, you can upgrade from a Magnum Dynalab FT-101 and go for something like a Magnum Dynalab Etude or try to hunt down a used McIntosh MR-78 or Yamaha T-2 (and in neither case, none of these tuners do not include remote controls, but these tuners are definitely worthy of your time and attention). I would personally keep my cables the way that they are (MITerminator 2 and 3 Interconnects and MITerminator 2 Speaker Cables), but if you want a smoother sound, then I would look toward Cardas.

Happy Listening and Good Luck!!!!!!!!

--Charles--