You were right about adding a sub.

I've had subs around the house, but used them mostly for home theater.

From time to time, some of you have encouraged me to use a sub in my 2 channel setup. Curiosity got the best of me over the Holidays and I hooked up a sub using speaker level connections and used the sub's crossover.

My speakers are Usher 6311 and my Integrated is an Anthem 225.

What a difference it made to not only the bass line, but cutting the lows increased the soundstage, improved detail, etc. I feel like I have new speakers, And the bug to try other speakers is gone.

Thanks for the tip- wish I would have tried it before now! For those of you that are tempted, it may be worth a try, it certainly was is my case. I'm using a Svs Sound Cylinder, fwiw. 

Regards,
gary

uncledemp

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Uncledemp

I happened to see your comment.

had B&W 801s3 in the room years ago. Don't know if a sub would have helped- never tried it.

fwiw I realize from your post that this is in the past for you now.  
the boxes on the B&W 801 s3 and s2 are tuned to about 40hz when used as is. When the 801 s2 and s3 are used as designed, with the BAF, they are full range. If curious there is a frequency/impedance graph from B&W England on my virtual system, showing the differences with, and without the BAF on the 801. Image 22.

Good luck in your quest.